Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kimbert Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

May 29, 2010, 10:54 AM
    When does the 80 hour detection period for EtG begin?
    I am wondering if the 80 hour window begins after the last drink or not until bac level is back to 0 which could be hours and hours after the last drink.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 11:17 AM

1. The 80 hours is a estimate and can be more or less depending on each persons own reactions. So it is not like exactly 80 hours.
    If you are that close, most likely you will fail.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 12:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kimbert View Post
    i am wondering if the 80 hour window begins after the last drink or not until bac level is back to 0 which could be hours and hours after the last drink.
    Your question is certainly valid. Is the time of detection measured from the first drink or the last drink. So long as there is alcohol in circulation there is still EtG to be produced. So the detection clock begins to tick at the time BAC reaches 0. EtG is cumulative however and is eliminated just as alcohol before although at a different and unknown rate.

As Fr_Chuck noted there is little significance to the widely touted 80 hours (generally qualified by "up to"). Alcohol is processed and eliminated at a rate determined entirely by individual metabolism. Furthermore, there is no direct relationship between quantity of alcohol consumed and quantity of EtG produced. It is believed, though not known, that the amount of EtG produced in metabolizing one drink will vary considerably from individual to individual. Add these two factors together and it equals?? Except as an average.

May 29, 2010, 06:30 PM
    So if my last drink was midnight on Saturday and I calculate that my bac was about .15 it would take approximately 10 hrs for bac to return to 0 which would be about 10 a.m. on Sunday morning. So it would be 10 a.m. Sunday when the 80 hour clock would start and if I did not take the EtG test until 6:30 p.m. Thursday night that would be approximately 104 hours between bac of 0 and the EtG test. It would seem then that EtG would be under the minimum detectable range.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 29, 2010, 07:00 PM

Yes, then all you have to worry about is a friend who gets mad and reports you, someone who took photos of you drinking and post on myspace of Facebook where you could still be found out
    Ultra Member

May 29, 2010, 07:49 PM
    so if my last drink was midnight on saturday and i calculate that my bac was about .15 it would take approximately 10 hrs for bac to return to 0 which would be about 10 a.m. on sunday morning. so it would be 10 a.m. sunday when the 80 hour clock would start and if i did not take the etg test until 6:30 p.m. thursday night that would be approximately 104 hours between bac of 0 and the etg test. it would seem then that etg would be under the minimum detectable range.
    At 100+ hours you should be clean as a whistle.

May 31, 2010, 12:09 AM

Should but there is a chance that I could still test positive even though I have avoided any incidental exposure to alcohol as well. But I am hoping that because I am a healthy, in shape young woman I will be lucky enough to pass. Thank you for all the feedback.

May 31, 2010, 04:54 PM

Also was wondering if amount of alcohol consumed affected the amount of EtG produced or if there is no direct correlation? Does one drink produce the same amount of EtG as 6 drinks?
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2010, 05:03 PM
    also was wondering if amount of alcohol consumed affected the amount of etg produced or if there is no direct correlation? does one drink produce the same amount of etg as 6 drinks?
    There is no direct correlation. It is known that EtG is cumulative so more drinks = more EtG. However, the amount of EtG produced by 1 drink will vary from individual to individual. The amount of EtG produced is dependent on 1) your metabolism in relation to 2) the amount of alcohol consumed. Women, by the way, have a faster ethanol elimination rate than men which probably also applies to EtG although not established. Few women included in researched groups.

May 31, 2010, 07:25 PM

So the 80 hour detection time is relatively hypothetical in that if one person drank 10 drinks the EtG might not be out of their system but if a person only drank 1 or 2 drinks then EtG would most assuredly be out of an individual. I am just worried as I drank a lot on Friday night and was tested on Thursday night at 6:30 and am 5 days is long enough for the EtG to metabolize out.
    Ultra Member

May 31, 2010, 08:11 PM
    so the 80 hour detection time is relatively hypothetical in that if one person drank 10 drinks the etg might not be out of their system but if a person only drank 1 or 2 drinks then etg would most assuredly be out of an individual.
    Now you're getting it. One drink, the ethanol will be eliminated in about one hour. The residual EtG will be present for 3-20 hrs. But interestingly as alcohol builds up in your system the liver, where it is mostly metabolized, has an overdrive system that kicks in. It's called the Microsomal Ethanol Oxidizing System (MEOS) that speeds up metabolism.

I stay on top of the EtG developments and have read every research report ever issued. The "up to 80 hour" claim was contained in Wurst 1999, and involved tests on chronic alcoholics in detox that started with BACs as high as .34. It has become more of a marketing slogan, a mantra for the testing field, than representative of science.

After reading back over this thread I wonder if one night of drunky was really worth the days of worry. What do you think?

Here's another little tidbit of information for you since you mentioned being healthy and in shape. The part of your brain that creates balance is the cerebellum. When alcohol reaches the cerebellum then you stagger. The cerebellum also has to do with muscle tone. So chronic drinkers have a lack of muscle tone that becomes apparent in the thighs and buttocks of men and women. Bet that makes you feel better.

Jun 1, 2010, 06:55 AM
    I totally agree- not worth the stress and anxiety. I just had never been called for one in a year and a half of probation but I have heard my district is clamping down and now etgs are becoming common practice. In fact, I was just called again this morning to do another one this evening. I know definitely I have nothing to worry about as there is no more testing the program-strict adherence from now on to ensure that I can frinish my probation shortly with a clean slate. Thank you for all your help.

Jun 4, 2010, 08:23 AM

Just to give an update. I passed the EtG test with the facts given above. I wouldn't recommend this to anyone though as the stress of wondering is not worth even one drink. But if you do want to drink I would be certain to max out the 80 hour window after your bac level has reached 0 (figure out how many drinks you had, over how many hours and then divide by .015 to figure out how many hours it will take for your bac to reach 0- the 80 hour detection time does not start until after your bac is 0) and then give it about 10-20 hours more just to be safe. Just my piece of advice to lessen the worry although not drinking save the worry completely. I learned my lesson.
    shirljane Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2011, 01:05 PM
    Comment on DrBill100's post
    So if someone tells me they had two capfuls of Nyquil about 2 hours before his UA - would it be believable that his EtS would be 5108 ng/ml?
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2011, 01:13 PM
    so the 80 hour detection time is relatively hypothetical in that if one person drank 10 drinks the etg might not be out of their system but if a person only drank 1 or 2 drinks then etg would most assuredly be out of an individual. i am just worried as i drank alot on friday night and was tested on thursday night at 6:30 and am 5 days is long enough for the etg to metabolize out.
    The 80 hour claim is meaningless.

5 days is more than enough time to clear EtG regardless of amount of alcohol consumed.
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2011, 01:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    So if someone tells me they had two capfuls of Nyquil about 2 hours before his UA - would it be believable that his EtS would be 5108 ng/ml?
    Would have to know more about that, but the figure is possible. What was the EtG reading? What was the creatinine level?

Nyquil contains about 10% alcohol... the cap is 1 oz. EtG and EtS have similar profiles and allowing for absorption, distribution, first-pass metabolism, 2 hours could be around peak for EtG/EtS, at least in high range.

The following link provides a graph of alcohol-EtG-EtS and their respective peaks. The study used a higher amount of alcohol but the respective peaks are the key. See Heland & Beck
    steppin on Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2011, 09:39 PM
    I drank 10 ten beers on Saturday and stopped at 12 o'clock and took and EtG test on Tuesday at 2 o'clock p.m.. Would the etgs still be in my system?
    luckyucutie1221 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2011, 01:17 PM
    I have a question, on sat oct. 1st I had a 3 beers between the hours of 1pm-3pm.. I have to test tonight between 5-7pm and I might have to EtG test. Will those beers show up in my urine. I also drank herbal tea a gallon of it yesterday that a cop buddy told me that it is a sugar controller, blood cleansing tea. My friend has been taking EtG test and when he drinks ahcohol he drinks this tea and he doesn't show up positive for failing the EtG test
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2011, 03:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyucutie1221 View Post
    i have a question, on sat oct. 1st i had a 3 beers bewteen the hours of 1pm-3pm.. i have to test tonight between 5-7pm and i might have to etg test. will those beers show up in my urine. i also drank herbal tea a gallon of it yesterday that a cop buddy told me that it is a sugar controller, blood cleansing tea. my friend has been taking etg test and when he drinks ahcohol he drinks this tea and he doesnt show up postive for failing the etg test
    You should be clear of EtG at that time. Under normal conditions the EtG created by 3 beers should be eliminated in 48 hours or less. Not familiar with the specific benefit of the tea but EtG is water soluble so the liquid helps but shouldn't be necessary.
    Ultra Member

Mar 20, 2012, 08:23 PM
    EtG testing requires laboratory based instruments a chemical analyzer and LC/MS/MS. It is not a test performed on-site or point of collection (POC). Must be sent to a lab.

Standard Urine Alcohol Testing and standard drug tests can be performed POC. If POC the results are generally available in minutes to hours.

Other than that distinction there is no way of determining how the sample is tested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How much motrincan you take in a 24 hour period [ 8 Answers ]

What is the maximum dosage in a 24 hour period for over the counter Motrim for adults if each pill is 200 MG

EtG test (80 hour Alcohol test) - Drink Friday will it be there on Tuesday/Wednesday? [ 21 Answers ]

I drank a few pitchers and a couple shots on Friday. I will either have to test on Tuesday or Wednesday. Wednesday is a must, but I could get called for random on Tuesday!? :confused: :eek:

Is it OK to work out the same muscles in a 24 hour period [ 2 Answers ]

I want to increase my time in the weight room because I'm not doing a winter sport this year but I do both spring and fall sports. But I don't want to do any harm to my muscles

ETG Alcohol Test (80 Hour Alcohol Test) [ 1 Answers ]

I drink Non-Alcoholic Beer, but it still contains less than 0.5% alcohol per bottle. I usually have one or two every couple of days. Will this show up in the test? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

80 hour EtG urine test. [ 5 Answers ]

I took an EtG test yesterday. (still waiting for results) my last drink was 88 hours before the test. This test is supposed to read ethenol in the urine up to 80 hours. Has anyone else ever dealt with this, am I safe

View more questions Search