Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 10, 2006, 08:15 AM
    Not affected by Untreated Water?
    Why is it that animals seem to be able to drink untreated water but if we do it we become ill? Whole herds are described as healthy even though they drink this water.
    Wild carnivores do the same are are described as being in excellent health.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 08:28 AM
    Generally, the immunities of humans vs. other animals are quite different.

This is not limited to carnivores. Animals of all kinds can, generally speaking, drink water (and even eat certain things) that would otherwise make humans quite ill - or even kill them. But of course there is some water (and some edibles) out there that also makes animals ill - or even die.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

Apr 10, 2006, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Generally, the immunities of humans vs. other animals are quite different.

This is not limited to carnivores. Animals of all kinds can, generally speaking, drink water (and even eat certain things) that would otherwise make humans quite ill - or even kill them. But of course there is some water (and some edibles) out there that also makes animals ill - or even die.

Yes, I know that animals are not totally invulnerable to everything they eat. Flamingoes become ill from drinking stool contaminated water for example. But in the case of the regular water that animals drink, you are saying that the immune system that protects them? I know that the Kimono Dragon has saliva which is full of death-dealing bacteria and he uses it to kill but it doesn't bother him one bit. So am I correct in assuming that the animal immune system works this way for any water that might have germs?
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 09:42 AM
    Yes, Exactly.
    kp2171 Posts: 5,318, Reputation: 1612
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2006, 10:34 AM
    The animal perspective was never discussed in my human microbiology and parasitology courses...

But I'd guess that what was said about the immune system is to some degree true. We humans have bacteria in our GI tract that's called the "normal flora". Bacteria that is always there until sickness, meds, or something disturbs it. Then there is room for new things to move in, which can cause all kinds of problems.

When you study micro and parasitology you learn about the vectors that are specific to certain diseases... carriers of the "bug" that may show no sickness. This can be tied to a number of things. Maybe the parasite is at a different stage in its life cycle when its transmitted from animal to human. Or the animal has a innate tolerance for the "bug" that humans do not. Maybe the human is more sensitive to a by product of the microbe that the animal is not.

Truth is, we'd need a person w ties to vet/zoology to explain the reason why humans get severe diarrhea from giardia when traveling, but animals drink that water all the time.

I also wonder how much is sensitization... in that an animal that drinks taited water its whole life builds immunity against the microbes, as long as it survives. So the immune system builds up over time do to the increased exposures.

Baby's commonly get sick w rotavirus a few times in the first few years of life, puking, watery stool... but build up an immunity over time. Likewise, early challenges to the infant immune system can actually make it stronger in the long run (one high fever in the 1st year believed to be "good" to boost immune system as long as not too high).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Untreated Toothache [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering how worried I should be about leaving a toothache untreated. The pain started many months ago, after a while the pain completely disappeared and only returns when I eat something like candy or chocolate. If I were to avoid junk food, brush my teeth three times a day, and floss could...

Water tank height versus water pressure [ 3 Answers ]

I'm not a physicist so I need your help. I live in Mexico. We have a water tank sitting on the roof - there is no pressure pump. The water pressure in the house is very low. Is there a rule of thumb (for the common man) that will tell me how how much pressure increase will result from raising...

Brand new water heater: Starts hot, then water gets cold after few seconds [ 9 Answers ]

We just moved into a brand new condo which has its own water heater. We went to take a shower this morning and the first few seconds of the shower were very hot, then it went cold after 10 seconds. We tried again after half an hour, same thing. There was enough hot water for my husband to shave but...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

AC Water Pump not sending water through tubing [ 1 Answers ]

My house is a ranch house with no basement. We have a forced air/central air conditioning system. There is a pump that is suppose to pump the water through a plastic tubing in to our laundry tub. The water does have to go up to the ceiling of the room and across a wall and then down into our...

View more questions Search