Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MarMar27 Posts: 458, Reputation: 7

Jun 26, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Wasp spray
    My hornet spray says Never Use indoors, but I had a HUGE wasp on my kitchen floor and my reaction was to grab the hornet spray I hate those things!. I cleaned up the area I sprayed on the floor, but I don't know if I should leave the house for a few I don't smell it anymore and I have the fan on and AC on.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 04:26 PM

Most of the quick knock-down sprays use petroleum based solvents which can be harmful if inhaled. If you only used a couple of seconds burst and ventilated the area there should not be any further hazard. Make sure there's no oily residue on the floor so you don't slip and you should be okay.

Jun 26, 2010, 04:30 PM

Ok, yeah I just sprayed it real quick and put the fan on and wiped the area while covering my nose with my shirt my little one was in the house that's why I got worried but I told him to go to his room and he did.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 04:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MarMar27 View Post
    Ok, yeah i just sprayed it real quick and put the fan on and wiped the area while covering my nose with my shirt my little one was in the house that's why I got worried but I told him to go to his room and he did.
    After it cools down in the evening check the outside of your house to make sure there isn't a nest building. Look around the eaves, corners, and inside any hanging light fixtures.

Jun 26, 2010, 04:52 PM

Good thinking thanks, I think there may be one somewhere because I killed one by my stair railing outside yesterday also.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 05:13 PM

And next time, the last thing you want to do is use the air conditioner, till you open the windows and get fresh air in, not recycle that fumes throughout the house

Jun 26, 2010, 05:25 PM

Oh wow I did not think of that, well I actually did open the windows first and the fan and then the air conditioner . I just hope we didn't get any harm by that. I should have just hit it with my mop or something.
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 05:31 PM

Just think of that, but in bulk in a industrial setting, I sent over 10 people to the hospital and shut a factory down for 4 days while OSHA investigated.

Smell was bothering people, so I shut up the building, and turned on the air. When a couple felt sick I placed them right in front of the air vent ( made it worst)
    ** god I loved that job, Made the channel 4 news, the helicopter landed in our parking lot.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 06:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    just think of that, but in bulk in a industrial setting, I sent over 10 people to the hospital and shut a factory down for 4 days while OSHA investigated.

Smell was bothering people, so I shut up the building, and turned on the air. when a couple felt sick I placed them right in front of the air vent ( made it worst)
    ** god I loved that job, Made the channel 4 news, the helicopter landed in our parking lot.
    What chemical were you poisoning people with, Chuck?
    Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 06:45 PM

Long story, have to check on that statue of limitation before I comment any more. No it was about 23 years ago, and it was a gas fumes basically. Sucked it right into the air system, and then into the compressed air system that ran the machines, and blowed it right into the machine operators face.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 26, 2010, 06:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fr_Chuck View Post
    long story, have to check on that statue of limitation before I comment any more. No it was about 23 years ago, and it was a gas fumes basicly. Sucked it right into the air system, and then into the compressed air system that ran the machines, and blowed it right into the machine operators face.
    Pyrethrin in a heated fog or nerve agents?

Jun 27, 2010, 02:27 PM

Oh wow chuck now you got me real worried, I sprayed on the kitchen floor though, not in the air or anything, and the air wasn't on that high being that I had the windows open... but wow I hope those people were OK afterwards.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 02:51 PM
    Oh wow chuck now you got me real worried, I sprayed on the kitchen floor though, not in the air or anything, and the air wasn't on that high being that I had the windows open... but wow I hope those people were ok afterwards.
    The sprays available for home use aren't quite as hazardous as the commercial pesticides 25 years ago. You should be okay.

Jun 27, 2010, 03:08 PM

Oh, OK, but this one said it's only for outdoor use.
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
    oh, ok, but this one said it's only for outdoor use.
    25 years ago, commercial sprays were primarily organophosphate nerve agents a little bit stronger than Sarin (google Tokyo subway attack). We had to wear gas masks to spray the stuff.

Nowadays just about everything is botanical, so you might be in danger of hay fever but even the kids should be fine. Don't let them lick the floor, Mop'n'glo tastes awful.

Jun 27, 2010, 03:33 PM

Haha, good that makes me feel better, chuck had me worried a bit with the whole ac deal there.
    Expert

Jun 27, 2010, 03:39 PM

Sorry, old man story there, I used one of those decon sprays in my sons bedroom this afternoon ( not to wake him up) stupid wasp in his window.

But yes, everyone lived, had to get air vents running for days, to get a level low enough for OSHA to clear the building for use.
    ** I think there were air issues from other products to start.

I spent more time in the building than anyone, clearing it out, getting employees out and more. Everyone was OK, But I am sure it did not help my employment status.

Jun 27, 2010, 07:47 PM

There probably was issues to begin with, you never know, but things happen, good thing it was noticed.

I use clorox to mop my until floors around the home, does that get sucked through the ac ?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2010, 08:28 PM

Chlorine is pretty nasty. See http://www.clean.cise.columbia.edu/msds/chlorine.pdf

If you use it a lot, I'd consider a respirator. Same for Amonia. Special cartridges are required for each.

Use plenty of fresh air.

Wasps:

You can consider using a fogger, if you cannot find the nest. I did that for carpenter bees in a shed, but the same principle applies. Best to do it in the evening, though when the bees have returned to the nest.

Jun 28, 2010, 05:45 PM

I work in the evenings that's the bad part.

What about pinesol? That's pretty strong too.

And no I don't use it a lot for the reason that it is a bit strong and I don't pour that much into the bucket of water, I just usually use it for the floors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Does a wasp die after it stings you? [ 3 Answers ]

Does it die? And is there any specific treatment?

Wasp Traps.How do they work? [ 0 Answers ]

Why is it that wasps (and other similar-type stinging bugs) can't crawl back out of a wasp/bee catching contraption that my parents use to trap them. The trap kind of looks like an upside down trapezoid. We (the kids in my class) were thinking it was because they can't fly out of there, but, why...

What is this wasp? [ 6 Answers ]

I need help in identification of this black-yellow wasp/bee. It has nearly the same size that of a hover fly. It makes nest in ground. http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lDfVXMCBuu0/Sn6_9OAcmdI/AAAAAAAADbo/QE0pmYhEz2w/s1600-h/wasp-2.jpg

Wasp Infestation [ 3 Answers ]

Eighteen days ago, I found many wasps in my apartment and called the maintenance man for help. He killed them and used a spray on the outside bricks where he saw wasps going through a hole in the mortar to their nest in my wall. I asked for an exterminator to help with the problem Making a long...

Wasp, how to get rid of them [ 5 Answers ]

What is the best spray to use or the best natural way to get rid of wasp

View more questions Search