Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dave Ermeling Posts: 173, Reputation: 3

Feb 19, 2008, 12:21 PM
    What kind of drill do I need to use to drill holes for 1 1/2" pvc plumbing.
    I'm running 1 1/2" pvc for a basement bathroom vanity and a wet bar. Do I need to get a Forstner bit or is just a regular hole saw best for drilling my 2x6 wall studs?
    Also, is 2" the correct size, or should I go to 2 1/8" or 2 1/4".
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 12:31 PM
    1.75 or 2" hole saw is what you need, the Forstner for a hole this size is a real pain. You might need to drill from both sides depending on the depth of your saw.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 02:16 PM
    Hey Dave. The outside diameter of 1.5 inch PVC pipe is 1 15/16"..so for sake of argument...let's call it 2 inches.

Then you said you are running through studs..right? Well, unless you have been laying out holes for a long time...there needs to be a fudge factor built in so that you do not strain the pipe when pulling through the studs.

Point here is that I believe you need a 21/4" hole saw.. or a self-feeder (forstner) bit (these just munch right through the wood).. see pic. Below. Hole saw also works fine.

An increase of 1/4" will not hurt studs, but will make your job easier. Also, remember to pitch that pipe 1/4" per foot!!
    Attached Images

Feb 20, 2008, 12:00 AM
    Thanks so much Massplumber2008. I think I will go with 2 1/4". The thing with hole saws is after you get through the stud, you have this hunk of wood wedged in it that you have to knock out.
    What is the best way to get a 6 to 7 foot piece if 1 1/2" pvc pipe into the holes you've drilled? Does the pipe flex enough to pull it through from one end?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 20, 2008, 04:49 AM
    Depends... of course ;) If you drilled in center of 2x6.. you will not get much length on your pieces... if drilled toward front of 2x6 stud.. will get longer pieces (use stud guards if you drilled forward holes)

Usually, you cannot cut studs, so you would end up installing that pipe with 2 or 3 couplings... PVC can flex a bit so try a longer piece between two studs and see just how long you can fit in... but do not overdo stress to pipe as it can crack ballistically and can be dangerous (especially if just brought in from cold weather).

Another way would be on a knee wall or similar... you could drill additional holes through all the studs, and then from the end of the wall slide pipe back in through the holes to where you need it... COUPLING FREE!

And do be careful with those self feeder bits... brace the drill and yourself in the direction the drill will bind if it does bind... that make sense?

If this was helpful, please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on rate this answer at upper right of this box or at bottom of this post. Thank you
    iamgrowler Posts: 1,421, Reputation: 110
    Ultra Member

Feb 20, 2008, 05:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Ermeling
    The thing with hole saws is after you get through the stud, you have this hunk of wood wedged in it that you have to knock out.
    To avoid this, drill 3/4 of the way through one side of the stud or joist, then flip the drill around and finish the hole from the other side of the stud or joist.

Works like a charm.

Feb 20, 2008, 09:13 AM
    Thanks a bunch guys. I think I'll go with whatever bit I can get cheaper since I only have maybe 7 or 8 studs to drill. I think 2 1/4" will be my size choice too. Thanks again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hand drill [ 1 Answers ]

When using a power drill there are settings on the drill for torque... they range from 0 to 22... is there a guide to let me know what setting to use on different projects...

Drill holes in shell [ 2 Answers ]

What is the best, most efficitent, cheapest way to drill a holes in shells. I have lots of shells that need to get small holes drilled in them, but it seems that shells are very hard and it takes an incredibly long time. I have used a hand drill with an ordinary drill bit and it worked OK but took...

Tapered drill bits [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, How do I sharpen a tapered drill bit. Thanks, Randy

Is it safe to drill holes in the side of my fridge? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm putting some beer taps on my fridge, and was wondering if it will be safe to put them on the side of the fridge. I've modified a fridge like this before by going through the door, but if there are no cooling pipes etc. in the side I'd rather go through there as it's stronger than the...

View more questions Search