Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Becca1025 Posts: 422, Reputation: 45

Feb 2, 2009, 01:36 PM
    38 weeks and want to rip my pubic bone out and a possible yeast infection?
    For the past almost three weeks my pubic bone has been very sore. The last couple of days have been the worst. I have been active this pregnancy, I exercise regularly and otherwise feel great. It's just this damn pubic bone is killing me. It hurts whether I am active or if I am laying down resting. It hurts so bad sometimes I cry a little (usually when I am getting up from bed). Sometimes I seriously think it's broken and other times it doesn't hurt that bad and is tolerable. I do move on a regular basis, I don't really sit still for too long. I don't know what station the baby is in or anything (I haven't been checked for dilation, effacement, or station yet) but the doctor does say the baby is very low and engaged so I'm sure that's what it is from. I have brought this up to the nurse and doctor and they told me about a maternity support belt, but the doctor said since baby is so low it may not do too much so I didn't buy one. I have tried stretches, walks, sitting on a yoga ball, taking a warm bath, and none of it relieves pain. I don't know if I am doing the right stretches or not, but does anyone have any other idea of how I can relieve this pain (other then having the baby)? What worked for you?

I've had the joy :mad: of getting my very first yeast infection with this pregnancy during the beginning of the second trimester. The doctor just prescribed me monistat 3 day. I am pretty sure I am starting to get another one and I am 38 weeks. Do I just take the same stuff again even though delivery is so close? Or will I need to be prescribed something else?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 2, 2009, 03:35 PM

As for the yeast infection, yes get rid of it as soon as possible. If the monistat didn't work, don't try it again, call your doctor and tell him it didn't work. You don't want to have any kind of infection during pregnancy.

No, you pubic bone. That is quite different. This is from a OBGYN website: (hope it helps Becca !)

Pubic Bone Pain in Pregnancy

Q Is pubic bone pain normal in pregnancy?

A From the "Terminal Miseries of Pregnancy," this sounds like something called Symphysis Pubis Diastasis. Now before this nasty-sounding ailment makes you want to set up novenas, know that it's harmless and quite normal.
    Here's the deal:

The pelvis is a ring structure. Progesterone, a hormone made in great quantities in pregnancy has many properties besides thickening the lining of the uterus for implantation. It also relaxes smooth muscle, which helps keep the uterus quiet (non-contracting) as the baby grows. A side effect of this is constipation, because it also relaxes the smooth muscle in the intestinal tract.

Progesterone also relaxes the ligaments between joints. In it's wisdom, the human body seeks to make the passageway (the pelvis) a larger space for the passenger (the baby). The middle of the pubic bone is actually a joint where the left and right pubic bones join together. When this loosens up, this in effect makes the diameter of the pelvis a larger space for the baby to negotiate during labor.
    So far so good.

But unfortunately, since the pelvis is a ring, if it opens here, it must pinch there. The sacroiliac joints in your lower back to either side of the midline can hurt when this pubic bone separation happens. Or, alternately, you can just hurt at the pubic joint (the "pubic symphysis"). Diastasis is a word meaning "separation," so pubic symphysis diastasis is the normal effect of progesterone and other unknown forces that open up the pelvic ring a little bit for labor.

(An added note: Any pain in this area warrants a pelvic exam to rule out premature dilation of the cervix, and a urine exam to rule out bladder infection.)
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 2, 2009, 03:41 PM

Sounds like you have SPD (symphysis pubis dysfunction). The hormone relaxin does its job too well sometimes and that joint, along with hip joints, become too flexible causing too much separation. It is pretty common. One thing is to be careful how you get out of bed, and in and out of the car. Try to keep your knees together and move in one motion. Take stairs one at a time, bringing your feet down to each step before going to the next. It usually goes away a bit after baby is born. While in labor, best to avoid positions with legs spread too far apart. If you decide on a epidural be very careful as it can be easy to spread too much since you don't feel things as well. A great position to deliver in with SPD is hands and knees.

Feb 2, 2009, 05:25 PM

I gave in and called the nurse about the possible infection, she just told me to use the Monistat7.
    Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 03:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Becca1025 View Post
    I gave in and called the nurse about the possible infection, she just told me to use the Monistat7.
    Well, what can I say, I hope you get your yeast infection under control by the time you delivery. Good luck Becca. But... if the Monistat 7 doesn't work this time, ask your doctor directly.

I wish our resident expert J-9 would chime in on this one. J-9 is an RN.

Feb 3, 2009, 10:02 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Well, what can I say, I hope you get your yeast infection under control by the time you delivery. Good luck Becca. But.....if the Monistat 7 doesnt work this time, ask your doctor directly.

I wish our resident expert J-9 would chime in on this one. J-9 is an RN.

The doctors office very rarely has the doctor do call backs. Only if it's something serious then the doctor will give a call back. They have the nurses do it most of the time. What happens if I go into labor before I finish the treatment?
    Expert

Feb 3, 2009, 10:28 AM

I don't know exactly, Becca, sorry about that. Any concerns like that you will have to refer to the nurses again, I guess. It probably wouldn't be the first time they have seen this happen, so don't worry about it. New babies can get 'thrush' from yeast infections at birth and this is easily treated. You might want to ask about that too.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2009, 01:05 PM

Sometimes doctors will suggest the longer application of the monistat, especially if you have had a recent yeast infection. Yeast infections are not uncommon in pregnancy, but of course need to be treated, and usually the longer dosage will take care of the issue.

Try the old remedies as well, eating yogurt each day, keeping the area dry with pantyliners or cotton underwear, and avoid sugary foods/drinks.

If baby were to acquire an infection at the time of birth, it is easily treated. If you plan to breastfeed and baby is being treated for oral thrush, you should treat your nipples as well as it is easily passed back and forth.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I think I have a yeast infection [ 1 Answers ]

Ok so I Think I have a yeast infection. I've never had one before and I'm not sure. It itches but its not like an itch itch. It tingles and throbes and tingles and has a sensations of right before climaxing. There is no discharge and no odor. It does not hurt to pee but when I wipe it feels...

Yeast infection [ 3 Answers ]

I just came back from the urineologist and found out that I have a yeast infection. I always practiced safe sex is it possible to get a yeast infection from oral sex. What are the other ways for a man to have a yeast infection. Can I get a yeast infection from spermicidal lubricant,...

Yeast infection or more? [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, has any of you ladies experienced a constant brown vaginal discharge, almost throughout the entire cycle? Also I notice as I write, when I suck in my stomach, my lower abdomen feels funny, like kind of (slightly) sore. I think I had some cramping earlier today. And while showering I saw a...

Yeast Infection [ 7 Answers ]

I've been having this problem for about six months now and I just don't know how to solve it. After my period I get a high fishy smell or just a smell at times. I've been to the doctor many times but each month its all back again. I can't afford to visit the doctor so regularly and I'm tired of...

View more questions Search