Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smasshh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2006, 10:58 AM
    Tree Trimming - Washington State
    I have a neighbor that reaches over my fence to trim my tree branches that are hanging on her side of the fence. She then throws the cut branches in my yard to clean up. I know she's allowed to cut the tree limbs at the fence line or she should come over and tell me to cut them; however, she doesn't come over to tell me she's going to do this, and on other occasions she's waited until I've gone on vacation. I have five trees, three pine and two cedar. One of the pines is already dead from the excessive trimming and rototilling on her side of the fence, and the two others are dying. She's also taken a big chunk of branches out of my cedars. I've called the police about this. They say it's a civil matter and could be malicious mischief... they won't do anything, etc... What do I do? My trees are dying and my yard waste is overflowing.

Thanks
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 28, 2006, 11:26 AM
    You need to sue her. Yes she has the right to trim branches on her side of the fence, but not to the point where it damages the trees. You need to get an expert to testify that her trimming has damaged the trees then sue her for reimbursement.

The police are right, as long as she doesn't come onto your property (which can then be considered criminal trespass), it's a civil matter.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 30, 2006, 09:51 AM
    Well, legally, as you've said, she can cut any branches that overhang onto her property but she can't throw the waste onto your property. If she cuts them then she's responsible for disposing of them. I don't know if it is strictly a civil matter or if in fact there's any criminal offense she's guilty of. It could maybe technically be considered littering, the same as if she were throwing bags of trash onto your property. You may want to consult with an attorney to be sure and to find out exactly what your options are.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garishments Washington [ 2 Answers ]

We were garnished today,:mad: and we had no idea that it was coming, so sure we deal with at work around it but how do I find out who the garnishment is from? Like I said before we had no idea about it, and don't who the money is going to nor the debt amout?

Hedges on property line - Washington State [ 9 Answers ]

Well... I've done something foolish and now I need to know what I can (or should) do about it. We have a nice view of Mount Ranier from the patio in front of our home. Over the last few months, the hedge that separates my house and the house next door has grown so tall that it blocked the view...

Tree Trimming Etiquette [ 6 Answers ]

My neighbor has a very large bradford pear tree in their front yard that is planted about 5' from our property line. This neighbor does not trim this tree and the tree has overgrown so much that a large limb protrudes to our drive way over our parked cars. We have asked these neighbors in the past...

Washington DC [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone. I am a expert about Washington dc. Ask me anything you would like to know about tourism in Washington DC and I will try to answer for you. I will be anixiously waiting to here from you. :)

View more questions Search