Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lastenglishking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2005, 08:42 AM
    Setting up Tomcat 5.0
    I am having real trouble setting up Tomcat 5.0 on Windows XP.

I have downloaded the Windows setup and followed the instructions to the letter. When I try and start the server with c:\Tomcat 5.0\bin\startup I get the following message:

Windows cannot find '-Djava.endorsed.dirs='. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again. To search for a file,click the Start button, and then click Search.

The suggested search is in vain!

I don't understand the icons that have been installed in all programs. When I click on either the Tomcat Monitor or the Configure I get an Application System Error which states that 'an instance of Tomcat5 application is already running'.

I have tried various things in altering my environment variables to no avail.

Has anyone out there actually installed Tomcat 5.0?

All I want to do is test server using http://localhost:8080/ and try out a few of the examples!

S. :confused:
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Oct 27, 2005, 08:32 AM
    I've installed Tomcat several times and have v5 running on my PC now. I've never had any problems with it though.

What version did you download? Was it a stable build? If so, it might be worth uninstalling then reinstalling.

As for the error message you are getting, I couldn't find any help for it. Can you post up the entire error message.

Finally, what actually happends when you got to http://localhost:8080/ ? Do you get anything? It should be a page showing the Tomcat logo.
    lastenglishking Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 28, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Think I've got it working!
    Managed to get Tomcat working. I found the documentation very difficult to follow. I wasn't aware that the server can be started and stopped via the GUI!! I got it working more by trial and error. I think I made a break through by rebooting the machine at one point! The documentation for the CLASSPATH took a bit of working out.

The java.sun jsp forum was useful.

Thanks anyway!

S.
    thamaraiselvi Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2012, 06:56 AM
    I will be very glad if you can clearly explain what you did to get your problem sorted out,, becoz even I am suffering the same problem
    Scott Thorsons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 05:43 AM
    Maybe this one would help. Look at http://www.windows-cannot-find.com/337/windows-cannot-find-djava-endorsed-dirs-error-fix/
    Scott Thorsons Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 11, 2012, 05:44 AM
    Maybe this information would help? Look at Windows cannot find -Djava.endorsed.dirs= error - How to fix it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The Setting Superstar [ 3 Answers ]

I have this song by Jeff Buckley, but the album I have for it is Sensorium 8-31-00, after his death. I don't think it's even one of his songs. Here are the lyrics (somewhat): And the sun went to the highest bidder... (can't make out this part) Have you seen my wife, she's taken strangely...

Setting up equation? [ 2 Answers ]

I can not get how to form a formula or equation for this question. I don't want the answer I just need help getting it started. Thanks Jim can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 6 hours, Bob can mow Mr.Smith's lawn in 4 hours. How long would it take them to mow the yard if they worked together?

E-bay setting?? [ 1 Answers ]

?I have a question for anybody that can help. I have been an e-bayer for some time now and have not had any problems with setting on the site. Now all of a sudden am having problems when I click on a customers e-mail address, or on the feedback section. Here are my problems... I have cable line...

View more questions Search