Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    choopie3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 12:41 PM
    How to install a new drain/flange for a shower in a concrete basement floor
    I have an unfinished basement that I am building a bathroom in. The floor in the basement is concrete, however the builder did install the PVC pipes in the cement floor so that the bathroom & plumbing is ready to be finishied. My question deals with how to install the shower draain so that it won't leak and is flush with my finished tile shower basen?

The existing PVC pipe for the shower drain sticks out of the cement floor by about 10" and is centered in a largre PVC pipe that is flush with the concrete.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 13, 2008, 12:45 PM
    Are you planning to install a fiberglass shower pan or were you thinking of a mud pan built from scratch? How to Build a Shower Pan
    choopie3 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2008, 01:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by choopie3
    I have an unfinished basement that I am building a bathroom in. The floor in the basement is concrete, however the builder did install the PVC pipes in the cement floor so that the bathroom & plumbing is ready to be finishied. My question deals with how to install the shower draain so that it won't leak and is flush with my finished tile shower basen?

The existing PVC pipe for the shower drain sticks out of the cement floor by about 10" and is centered in a largre PVC pipe that is flush with the concrete.
    Mud pan built from scratch, then 1" tiles as shower floor.
    I stand corrected, I have a 2" PVC pipe sticking out of a largre (approx 6") circular hole.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 14, 2008, 05:34 AM
    I stand corrected, I have a 2" PVC pipe sticking out of a largre (approx 6") circular hole.
    You were left a tub dap-out. This doesn't mean you can't install a shower but when we rough for a shower we do not leave a dap-out we cement around the raiser so the shower drain has stability. My advice would be to set up for a shower and fill and patch the hole. You will need to install a flange type shower drain,(see image) after patching the hole and install a shower pan before mudding and tiling. Bob put up a link with instructions on how to build a shower pan but if you need farther instructions click on back. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cast iron shower drain in concrete floor-replacement [ 7 Answers ]

Hello. This is my first post here and I'd appreciate any help you can provide. I have a tiled shower on a concrete slab. The drain is cast iron... sort of a bowl-shaped 3" dia. opening with a lead seal to a 2"-2 1/4" cast iron pipe. In removing the old "Premier" pull-up drain stopper, the brass...

Trying to Install a basement stand up shower drain, need assistance? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi all, Just got a question, I am attempting to install my stand up shower(MAXX), drain, I have a 2" PVC pipe coming out from the basment concrete floor. When I put the drain on to the base of the shower and lay it on the desired location it dosen't sit flat because of the bottom part of the drain...

Install PVC Adjustable/Flange Shower Drain [ 1 Answers ]

I'm re-doing my bathroom. Tile guys ripped up the previous composite/fiberglass shower pan which will be replaced with a tiled and mortared pan. I'm not doing the pan construction but do need to have an adjustable shower drain installed for the shower pan guy to work around. My current...

Basement Drain is positioned for a bathtub, we want to install a shower [ 1 Answers ]

We are in the process of developing our basement. The floor plan that was used by the builder called for a bathtub in the bathroom, so the drain pipe is positioned for a bathtub. We want to install a shower, but the drain hole does not line-up. It is off by about 2 feet. Is there any simple...

Basement concrete shower drain [ 2 Answers ]

I have completely gutted a 1950''s house basement bathroom. The shower is in the basement, the drain is embedded in the concrete basement floor. In the remodel, I intend to install ceramic tile on the floor of the shower. Ihave 3 questions. 1. Please confirm that there is no need to...

View more questions Search