Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lmartin090963 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2008, 03:45 AM
    Latitude and longitude
    Suppose youa re somewhere in the Atlantic ocean. YOu see Polaris at 52 degrees above the horizon. You were told that a certain star is on the Prime Medidian at midnight Greenwich mean time. The star is on your meridian at 4 am greenwich mean time. What is the latitude and longitude?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Sep 15, 2008, 12:15 PM
    This sounds like a homework problem to me, so please don't just type the question in and expect someone to do your homework for you. You should make an attempt and solving it yourself, and then if you have difficulty show us how far you got.

I will give you one hint: given that Polaris is commonly known as the North Star, and is positioned almost exactly above the north pole, you can probably imagine that if you were standing at the north pole (+90 degrees latitude) it would appear directly overhead - that is, at 90 degrees altitude in the sky. And if you are standing at the equator (0 degrees latitude), Polaris would be precisely at the horizon (0 degrees altitude). Do you see the relationship between your latitude and how far above the horizon Polaris appears?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Latitude and longtitude bearing [ 2 Answers ]

How can maths bearing be made simple?

Oceanography:I need the formula to find the time difference for longitude [ 1 Answers ]

Help! I need to find out how to calculate the time difference... of: 118 degrees 15'W and 81 degrees 47'W Please explain, I know you divide by 15 but?? :eek:

Dell latitude won't go wifi [ 2 Answers ]

The connection to my house was terminated. Another laptop is getting a wifi connection. Why can't my dell latitude get wifi.

Latitude and Longitude [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know that is the Latitude and Longitude of Southern High School in Louisville Ky Please for Social Studies?

Dell latitude d620 [ 3 Answers ]

Is it normal that the lcd of the dell latitude d620 is that dimm

View more questions Search