Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tommeitz Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 06:59 AM
    Wedding Ivitation Wife Deceased
    We are about ready to write wedding invitations and need to know the proper way. My wife died two years ago and my son is getting married. Would Use just my name as his parent or use mine along with my late wife's name. She is the mother of my son.:confused:
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 25, 2007, 07:10 AM
    I would say keep the invitation light and easy as it should be. You could mention his mom's name in brackets, i.e.

'and son of the late'

But I would suggest not using this at all. You are not being disrespectful in anyway by doing so.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 25, 2007, 07:18 AM
    In the engagement announcement that goes to the newspaper, you can use "son of Mr. John Doe and the late Susan Doe". In the wedding invitation, you use your name and drop your late wife's name. It is not disrespectful.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Feb 25, 2007, 12:02 PM
    Tom, first let me offer belated condolences on your wife's passing. I am so sorry she did not get the opportunity to experience this personal joy.

In case you need a second opinion, shygrneyzs is absolutely correct. The newspaper announcement is when you mention your late wife, as shy has laid out here. The wedding invite, you only use your name. That is the proper etiquette in these situations.

Congratulations to you, on your son's imminent wedding! :)
    tommeitz Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2007, 12:17 PM
    Thanks to all that responded. Tom
    tinsign Posts: 275, Reputation: 66

Feb 25, 2007, 12:39 PM
    I am so sorry to hear about your loved one passing and would like to extend my condolences... as to the invite I would put the son of mr._ and the late mrs_
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Mar 5, 2007, 11:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeitz
    we are about ready to write wedding invitations and need to know the proper way. My wife died two years ago and my son is getting married. Would Use just my name as his parent or use mine along with my late wifes name. She is the mother of my son.:confused:
    One more view point... whether you mention her will depend on how it is worded, which depends in large part on whether you are hosting the wedding. If it is, "the honor or your company is requested by (parents names) for the marriage of our children", you should definitely not mention her name. If, however, your name is included as in, "Brides parents names request the honor of your company at the marriage of their daughter (her name), and (his name), son of...", you have the option of listing "Mr. John Doe and the late Mrs. Mary Doe" if you wish.

The difference is that, of course, a deceased individual should not be listed as the host of an occasion, but can certainly be acknowledged as your son's mother.
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 08:29 PM
    My father passes away and when I got married I put his name in saying he was my late father I thinks its disrespectful not to
    Lillian42 Posts: 83, Reputation: 8

Apr 15, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Oops I meant to say my father passed away! Sorry guys.
    sampatrick Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

May 20, 2008, 01:11 AM
    There are many wedding invitation cards available in internet. You can view them and pick from any of those. It might help you.
    shellyjo68 Posts: 100, Reputation: 11

May 20, 2008, 07:53 PM
    To include my late step-mother in my wedding; for the father/daughter dance we danced to her favorite song (thankfully it wasn't "Wipe Out"!) and send a flower from my bouquet home with my sister for her (sister has her ashes). We didn't include her in the invitations because she was not hosting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deceased bills [ 2 Answers ]

My mom is dying and has outstanding bills. She lives in a house that my sister and brother-in-law own. She is named on the mortgage but not on the deed. Will my sister and brother-in-law have to pay all her out standing bills if they are not named on them? i.e. electrical, water, gas, phone, credit...

Deceased name off deed [ 5 Answers ]

My grandfather just passed Dec. 5, I need to know what steps are needed to remove his name from the deed of his and my grandmothers house. Is it necessary to have a lawyer to do this? Thank you, Jeff P.S. We live in California.

Bankruptcy for deceased relative [ 1 Answers ]

Can a person who the executor of an estate file bankruptcy for the deceased person? The only asset is a home that still has a mortgage?

Deceased account [ 11 Answers ]

Hi My parents recently passed away and I had to close there credit card from bank of america and the outstanding balance I owe since they did not have the credit card insurance. My parents also had this card connected to there overdraft protection on the checking account for which I kept but had...

View more questions Search