Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    PIRATA! Posts: 23, Reputation: 1

Feb 11, 2005, 04:10 PM
    Outlook: "A program is trying to access your Address Book" What is this all about?
    Hi to every one!
    Is a coupples of days that I have this weird problem here with my OutlookXP.
    When I go to compose a new email and click over the New button, I get a popup telling that A program is trying to access your Address Book and if I want it to let it manage my address book and for how much time.

Why am I having this thing now?
    Is this a bug/virus/troyan of some how??

I have found on the net some ways to bypass this popup without solving the problem. I DON'T want to make any bypass but I want to know how can I definitively solve this problem.

Can someone help?
    Thank you.

Feb 11, 2005, 04:27 PM
    I think I found the problem myself. :D

This popup appears if OfficeXP is updated to SP3 and some app installed on the machines adds some toobar in the New Mail Message box.

In my case I have installed Adobe Acrobat that adds the Attach as Adobe PDF bar.

To remoove this toolbar it must be made a Windows registry mod.
    Go for:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Office\Outlo ok\Addins\PDFMOutlook.PDFMOutlook\

Change LoadBehavior from 3 to 0.
    This will stop the Acrobat bar from loading and seemed to solve the problem.

;)
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Feb 12, 2005, 06:11 AM
    Adobe
    Hi,
    You are very GOOD! Congratulations on finding it yourself.

If you already have these spyware/advertising programs, please forgive me for suggesting them. Here are some great programs to keep your computer safe from Trojans spyware:

If you think you already have Spyware/Advertising Ware in your computer, run these as follows:

http://www.security-related.com/download2.htm
    Download: SpyBot Search & Destroy; 1.3

AdAware at:
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com
    Download: AdAware_SE

CWShredder at:
    http://www.download.com/CWShredder/3...ml?tag=lst-0-1
    (CWShredder is intended only for removal of CoolWebSearch files; placed as spyware on the harddrive). It is not a "stand alone" scan, but needs to be run.

All 3 of the above programs run better and much faster when run in SafeMode.

To get into SafeMode:
    Re-boot the computer, and immediately after starting up, Press and hold down, F8, at top of keypad.
    When the options show on the screen, use the up and down arrow keys on the keyboard to select
    "Safe Mode".
    Press Enter

It's best to run the AdAware scan first; 3 times; then re-boot.
    Then, run the AdAware scan again 3 times; then run the SpyBot. Then, run CWShredder.
    Re- Boot.
    Reason for running so many times:
    Some of these trojans' files can be deleted the first time; leaving some others; but on re-boot, they re-write the files that were deleted.
    Running multiple times deletes most of it the first
    Time.

If you wish to have a great program, after you clean out Spyware/Advertising Ware:
    SpyWare Blaster 3.2
    Great, free, program that STOPS spyware, trojans, home page hijacks, etc, BEFORE they get into your computer. Check it out at CNET at link:

http://www.download.com/SpywareBlast...ml?tag=lst-0-2

Best wishes,
    fredg

Feb 15, 2005, 07:53 AM
    Thank you very much for the info. ;)
    I'll try that way out.

Cheers. :)
    bwong Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Hi Pirata,
    Thank you very much for your info. It works for me.
    I installed the Adobe Acrobat and found an extra "Attach as PDF" bar.
    After modifying the registry, the bar was removed and the annoying message does not appear any more.
    I have googled a lot to find a solution. However most of them just asked for some money to buy a program to click the button automatically for me. That may allow some kinds of virus to spread.
    Some people posted very complicated theory to explain but no immediate solution.

Apr 15, 2006, 07:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bwong
    Hi Pirata,
    Thank you very much for your info. It works for me.
    I installed the Adobe Acrobat and found an extra "Attach as PDF" bar.
    After modifying the registry, the bar was removed and the annoying message does not appear any more.
    I have googled a lot to find a solution. However most of them just asked for some money to buy a program to click the button automatically for me. That may allow some kinds of virus to spread.
    Some people posted very complicated theory to explain but no immediate solution.
    Yourwelcome!
    I am happy to read that you have solved this problem with my method.
    See you on the forum.

Cheers. ;)
    Paul in Oz Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Apr 16, 2007, 10:44 PM
    hello, and thank you Pirata

I also had a similar problem. In my case, it was caused by the "Outlook contact and calendar" option, found at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlo ok\Addins\OutlookAddin.Connect

I changed the LoadBehaviour from 3 to 0

To easily fix this, paste the following lines into a file, with the .reg extension, and then double-click and answer "Yes" when asked if you want to merge.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlo ok\Addins\OutlookAddin.Connect]
    "LoadBehavior"=dword:00000000

Apr 18, 2007, 02:23 AM
    Wow! How much time... :)
    Thank you for the right! ;)
    I'll save this page in case I'll get that error.
    Thank you very much!
    Cya! :D
    czupan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2009, 03:50 PM
    Thanks to Pirata and to Paul in Oz.

All I had to do, after reading your posts, was to go to the Registry, to Addins\OutlookAddin.Connect as instructed, and change the load from 3 to 0.
    I didn't even have to install the Adobe Acrobat.

I was so pleased with the solution that I joined this site.
    msbl_2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2010, 05:27 PM
    Thank you Paul in OZ and Pirata

I have been trying for weeks.
    The problem was in
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Office\Outlo ok\Addins\OutlookAddin.Connect

I changed the LoadBehaviour from 3 to 0
    Worked like a charm
    Thanks again
    tyrex Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2011, 10:17 PM
    OutlookAddin.Connect hint worked for me too. Many thanks!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

About the book called "The Wars" [ 1 Answers ]

It is written by Timothy Findiey Did someone read it? Can you please tell me what this book is about? ( in detail please! ) Emergency.. Thank you very much!

Printer driver - "access denied"? [ 2 Answers ]

Using Win XP Pro, installed printer was working fine, changed "print spool" location as a tweak but now printer is not working as before. Uninstalled printer driver and tried to reinstall, but get "access denied"? I am loged in as administrator. Lost??

Global address list groups members missing in Outlook address book [ 0 Answers ]

Hello All, When I view a group in global address list in Outlook , address book group Does not display the members. My company use exchange 2000 server, and client use outlook XP or 2003. Does anybody experience the same thing and/or know why this is so? Thanks a lot for your help and...

Your address for "[email protected]" is not w [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, my name is gus.. I bought a 94 Acura Integra 2 door a month Ago.. I want to put a SERIOUS system in there that will RATTLE the TEETH of someone 3 BLOCKS away... I need a head unit, the 6 1/2 s For The doors , and the 6 1/2 s for the back , as well as a box... and Anything...

View more questions Search