Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BiWiccanAndProud Posts: 530, Reputation: 25

Oct 18, 2007, 09:07 PM
    ADHD... what do you think of it?
    Okay I was diagnosed when I was little as having ADHD along with another disease that effects your memory (basically you forget alot). Now I completely agree that I have this other thing cause I am about one of the most forgetful people around! But ADHD I just don't think I have it. I personally think I am just a very hyper person and attention deficate? I fall asleep in math and u.s. history!! Can't it just be that the teacher is boring? My mom is putting me on Stratara (doubt I spelled that right) after I've been off my meds for 3 years (I was on aderal before... again I doubt I spelled that right). I'm saying okay cause my grades really are worse then before and it's supposed to help my memory and my attention span but it won't change my personality. I'm all sorts of okay with a med that will help my forgetfullness and my attention span... but I still don't think I have ADHD.

Am I the only person who doesn't really believe in this disease? Anyone else here who "supposedly" has it? (anyone else who has had meds shoved down their throat all their freakin life?? -.-)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 09:19 PM
    If you are a hyper person, what is making you hyper? Can you sit still to do something like homework? Can you sit still to do something you totally enjoy doing?

My niece was diagnosed ADHD but I believe most of her problem is because of how she was parented, not because something is "wrong" with her.

It's real easy to give pills to kids to make them behave without checking up on parenting, outside influences, vitamins and minerals, a good sleep pattern, definite routines, and all sorts of other things.

Have your parents explored all those other things before starting the meds?

Oct 18, 2007, 09:28 PM
    Not that I remember... but I do sleep irregularly and yes it is hard for me to sit still. But I also have a very high metabolism. I do remember though that I have almost always been on meds. I know that only cause there was one med (can't remember the name) that caused me to hallucinate at night. If my room was dark and I woke up I'd see snakes or spiders and they would stay till the lights came on and then they'd disappear. My mom took me off them after a week. That was when I was... I believe 6 or 7. I never really had definite routines though. I know that! My mother and father have never been married so I'd have random visits to my dad and each parent was always trying to make the other look like the bad guy.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 09:45 PM
    What can you do about this? Are you old enough to have some say in how you are medicated? -- and not just having a tantrum or a fit and making everyone want to get you medicated as soon as possible.

Oct 18, 2007, 09:58 PM
    I'm 17 of course I didn't have a choice then but I've had a choice in the stratara. My mom was talking about putting me back on meds but I told her I would not go on anything that would change my personality like the others did. My mom researched and found stratara to best fit the kind of meds I'd go on. I told her at first that I didn't even want to go on them but decided that I'd give it a try if it may help my forgetfullness cause it's really bugging me.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 10:08 PM
    How long would you have to take it to notice a difference? To know it's taking effect?

Oct 18, 2007, 10:23 PM
    Normally a couple of days to a week. I don't know if I'd notice if it would effect my personality though. I haven't been that hyper lately, I've been just really down and unactive in a lot of things. I think it's probably to do with my bird dying that I've had a year and a half. We are still waiting for my meds though cause my therapest is taking forever to send out a perscription.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Oct 18, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Is anyone talking with you about your bird's death?

Oct 19, 2007, 05:48 AM
    No I suppose no one thinks she was that important... I don't know if my sudden change is cause of her death or not... but it started around when she died...
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 07:18 AM
    Bird dying may be depression/grieving. A normal thing as long as it occurs for short periods.

Let's look at this memory thing again: My short-term memory sucks. I just had it tested.

Memory is learned in basically 3 different ways: visual, verbal and kinestetic. Visual -> Go in a room for 10 minutes, leave and then try to place the objects. Much easier for girls.

Verbal - Ask for directions. Don't write anything down. What were the directions?

Kinestetic: Try riding a bike. Visually doesn't explain it. Verbally doesn't explain it. Kinestecically does. It's essentially repitition.

I have very little visual and very little verbal and I didn't realize that I had to homework with the book open and with the book CLOSED multiple times in order to pass the exams.
    I figured out a way to compensate, although difficult. I would create a 3 x 5 flash card of what I expected to be on the exam as I was reading and every waking hour I would go through that flas card. I upped my college grades to a 4.0 GPA. Without it, a 1.6 GPA.

What your boss wants is easily replaced with what your teacher wants. Solve that problem. It's not the same as learning. Trust me.

Oct 19, 2007, 07:31 AM
    I believe I'm visual cause I always forget what people say but I can remember how to get aorund the house I lived in about 8 years ago! I always forget my homework cause I can't remember what the teacher said. And doing homework never really helps me!

But my personality has changed in so many ways. I have zero motivation normally I'm ready for anything. For instance I love the paint! But lately I just can't paint at school! I love to write but I'm have such problems trying to found what to write in my book next! I've been getting kind of sick lately as of frequent headaches and stomah aches. I space off a lot more then usual! I'm really starting to get worried... my bird died about 2 or 3 weeks ago!
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 07:50 AM
    Hi Wiccian,

I am a teacher at a school for children with Learning Disabilities including memory issues and ADD and ADHD. So, I will give you my thoughts on your post and the comments that you have made in posts since.

ADD and ADHD effects people differently. I have a couple of students who are ADHD who are very quiet and do not seem hyper on the outside, but their mind is hyper. Their hyper mind makes it very hard for them to concentrate in class. I also have students who are physically hyper and talk like crazy and can't focus on the task at hand. Each person is different.

For you, when you are in class do you find it hard to concentrate on what your teacher is saying or on the task that they have given you? Do you rush through homework or not do it at all? Are you distracted by the conversations around you? I tend to think you do have attentional issues because of this statement :

I always forget my homework cause I can't remember what the teacher said. And doing homework never really helps me!

Stratera is a realitively new drug to help those with ADD or ADHD. While I am not a fan of Ritolin or other controlled substances as a way to modify behavior I have seen many of my students have great success on Stratera. Stratera is time released so you get a little dose throughout the day. Of all ADHD meds this is the one that I would put my own child on if needed.

However, ADHD and stratera seem to be only the tip of your problem. You sound like you could use an adult to talk to about the death of your bird (who was your beloved pet), your issues with school, and your memory issues. School psychologists could help you with strategies to improve your memory.

Oct 19, 2007, 08:00 AM
    You paged it on the mark there.. I do find it hard to pay attention sometimes. There are times when my attention is completely focused on the class (like english) but in classes like math I completely zone out! If I'm reading a good book then the whole class I'm wondering what will happen next. Most the time I don't do homework in certain classes cause I don't want to, don't understand, or I don't have the time. My teacher will say the assignment but by the time I get out the door I can't remember what the assignment was. I've been going to bed before then practically have a heart attack cause I remember a test the next day then I stay up all night trying to study but most the time fall asleep on the book! I constantly tap my feet during class or will draw cause I have to have my attention focused on something of interest or move in some way. I can't sit still!! And I am a very very very talkative person.

As for my bird my mother talked to me about it the night I came up to her room crying cause I had found Nina dead when I went to feed her. I cried all night and the next day when it was time to bury her I spent half an hour holding her body and crying while stroking her. I went and buried her with my boyfriend but other then that night no one has talked to me about it. I refuse to take her cage off my ceiling cause I miss having her around so much. You know like when a mother won't change the room of a child that just died.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:01 AM
    I think at your age you could try the medication and see if it works for you. You are at an age that you will be able to determine if you think the medication does wonders for you, or doesn't really change much, and you are able to do just as well off it.
    As long as your doctor is in agreement... not just your mom pushing it... I think it's worth a shot.

My concerns are with little children are put on ADHD medication as a way to control their active children. I have worked with many good doctors that deny parents who are pushing to get ADHD meds for their children, and I have worked with many that give the parent what they want.

A lot of people told me they thought my daughter (when she was 4) had ADHD. She was very over-active... she couldn't sit long and do just one thing, when she would watch TV she constantly had to be doing something, like rocking or kicking her legs or just moving around.
    Luckily she has a great doctor... that while he evaluated her and said she is borderline ADHD, said she is just an active 4 year old and there are many things I, as her mom, could do at home to help relieve some of it.

I have worked at preschools that parents are furious if their kids don't have their medication for ADHD right on time, and of course before they come to pick them up. These are also kids that I was able to help when their meds had worn off. They just needed attention and help. Once I gave them their meds, they were like zombies. I had one that was about 9 or so that said she hated being on her meds and she thought she could do fine without them. And I saw how she was without them, with the right teaching and someone willing to work with her... she didn't need her meds.

I think that some parents chose medicating their children over trying to parent them. It's easy to deal with a medicated child than try to help on your own.

But like I said, your 17... it's worth a shot, try it and see if it helps. You are at an age that you will be able to tell.

Oct 19, 2007, 08:06 AM
    I was the same way I HATED my meds. That's why I've been off them for the last couple of years cause I was tried of things that affected who I am (my dad doesn't believe I have ADHD and wouldn't give me my meds at his house, he said that it blocked out my creativity). But now my memory is worse then ever and the stratera is supposed to help so I'm going to give it a shot. What should I do though if it doesn't work? My attention span is about with that of an active 9 year old and my memory is terrible. I want to be an english teacher I can't have a bad memory!
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:15 AM
    If it doesn't work I would go to the doctor WITH your mom... make sure the doctor is understanding YOUR concerns not your moms. Let the doctor know, your major is your memory and talk to them about other options, medication or other.

I mean, you will be 18 soon and will be able to take care of it from there... just make sure the symptoms are coming from your mouth, not your moms.

Oct 19, 2007, 08:24 AM
    Well it's not like my mom's controlling... I just think she has always truly had my interests at heart. I mean my mom yelled at a teacher when I was in elementary school cause the teacher was pointing out all that was wrong with me and my was so mad cause the meds weren't helping me during school. She moved me around from school to school cause she kept getting mad at these teachers for not being more helpful and understanding with me. I've never been able to pay attention in class. Mom let me stay off my meds she only wants to get me back on them cause I really am having problems.

I'm just glad that mom's putting me on a good med now.
    Gernald Posts: 901, Reputation: 93
    Expert

Oct 19, 2007, 08:41 AM
    I believe you.
    I think the "disease" is more like a bad excuse to say it's all right that your kid has behavioral or hyperactive issues. In today's society, everyone is overmedicating so its no surprise that people are also overdiagnosing. Sure the disease may be real for some people, but I don't think that half of the people that have been diagnosed with it actually have it.
    My step sister went through a ADHD phase so they put her on meds, three years later she's off her meds and she's fine. She was just going through a phase, maybe that's what you were going through when you were diagnosed?
    I don't know much about the disease but I think overall the diagnosis depends on the person. Some people may have it, others are probably just being there normal hyperactive selves.

Just use your better judgement if you don't take your meds (don't do anything dumb :-) ). If you really need them they will help. If your parents want you on the drugs then they probably think something is wrong, just humor them and give the drugs a shot before you think you don't have ADHD.
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 19, 2007, 08:54 AM
    They are saying that the lack of Omega 3 is a big cause of ADHD.
    Also for your memory try also taking gingko biloba, lecithin and co Q10
    If you are forgetful because you are under stress also take vitamin B 12 and kava kava.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Oct 19, 2007, 09:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Gernald
    I beleive you.
    I think the "disease" is more like a bad excuse to say it's alright that your kid has behavioral or hyperactive issues. In today's society, everyone is overmedicating so its no suprise that people are also overdiagnosing. Sure the disease may be real for some people, but I don't think that half of the people that have been diagnosed with it actually have it.
    My step sister went through a ADHD phase so they put her on meds, three years later she's off her meds and she's fine. She was just going through a phase, maybe that's what you were going through when you were diagnosed?
    I dunno much about the disease but I think overall the diagnosis depends on the person. Some people may have it, others are probably just being there normal hyperactive selves.

Just use your better judgement if you don't take your meds (don't do anything dumb :-) ). If you really need them they will help. If your parents want you on the drugs then they probably think something is wrong, just humor them and give the drugs a shot before you think you don't have ADHD.
    I agree and disagree with the above statements. ADHD is not an excuse, it is an actual disorder that affects many children and adults. People who have ADD or ADHD are more likely to drop out of school and have social issues. While I agree that it can be overdiagnosed, I would say that it is a gross exageration that 1/2 of the people who have been diagnosed were done so wrongly.

Also ADHD is not a phase. It is a disorder. It does not just disappear, but people can control it with strategies, medication, and professional help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Adhd [ 2 Answers ]

What is ADHD? How does it affect children and adults? What kind of help is out there?

LD/ADHD ? Learning Disabilities ? [ 16 Answers ]

My son, aged 11 +, cannot concentrade on his study. A little noise or people talking will distract him.But comes to PC games, he is smart ! If no parent at his side, his writings would be terribly urgy. He sometimes mix up addition and subtraction. He can not sit still, always on the move. ...

6 1/2 yr old adhd & odd [ 4 Answers ]

:( Hello everyone. I am a 32 year old mom of 3 kids. My middle child is 6 1/2 years old and has been diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder as well as Oppositional Defiant Disorder. It is sooo hard to deal with him. It has gotten worse when I had the baby in January. He gets all...

My son has ADHD? [ 28 Answers ]

Tomorrow I am going to talk to my 8 yr old son's psychologist about his results from his evaluation which includes ADHD. The psychologist works with my husband and told him that my son does have ADHD. Even though I live with my son and see how he struggles, I am not too sure if I believe he...

View more questions Search