Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    slingerlax1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 04:24 PM
    Depreciation of equipment and the ending book value and how it affects balance sheets
    Company A acquired diagnostic equipment for $480,000. The equipment had an estimated useful life of eight years and an estimated residual value of $30,000. The company uses the straight-line depreciation method. After five years, management determined that the equipment was in danger of becoming obsolete. During year 6, the estimated useful life was revised to a total of seven years with a new estimated residual value of $20,000.

1. What is the book value of the equipment that would be reported on the balance sheet at the end of year 5?
    2. What is the new amount of depreciation expense that would be reported on the year 6 and year 7 income statements?
    3. What does the need for revision of the depreciation estimates indicate that a poor job of estimating was originally done?
    fuyu1017 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 18, 2009, 06:58 PM

For Q1, the book value at the end of year 5 would be simply after 5 year depreciation. And the per-year depreciation would be equal to (480,000-30,000)/8 = 56,250. Thus, after 5 years, the book value would be 198750.

For Q2, as the total useful life has shorten from 8 years to 7 years, and the residual value has changed from 30000 to 20000, thus, the calculation for the remaining depreciation would be changed. The calculation for the depreciation in the 6th and 7th year would be (198750 - 20000) / 2 = 89375.

For Q3, I am not sure with what it is asking. Sorry~

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Balance Sheets [ 3 Answers ]

Airline Company Balance Sheet As of December 31, 2003 Assets Cash………………………………………………….. $ 30,000 Account receivable………………………………… 50,000 Inventory…………………………………………….. 80,000 Net plant and equipment…………………………. 200,000 Total Assets………………………………………$ 360,000 Liabilities and...

Adjusting entry for depreciation on equipment [ 3 Answers ]

What account should entry for depreciation on equipment? Thanks,

The adjusting entry to record the depreciation of equipment for the fiscal period is [ 3 Answers ]

The adjusting entry to record the depreciation of equipment for the fiscal period is a. debit Depreciation Expense; credit Equipment b. debit Depreciation Expense; credit accumulated depreciation c. debit Accumulated Depreciation; credit Depreciation Expense d. debit Equipment; credit...

Trial Balance & Balance Sheets [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am using Microsoft Money to do my husband's small company's books (Canada) If it's a sole proprietorship, do I really need a trial balance and balance sheet? Thanks Jeanne

Depreciation on Equipment [ 1 Answers ]

If I bought equipment for $5000 and sold it for $3500 and accumlated depreciation was $1800 and depreciation was $450 prior to the sale is this the right transaction Depreciation Expense 450 Accumulated Depreciation Equipment 450 Cash ...

View more questions Search