Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stillwater Lake Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2015, 08:17 AM
    Thermostat is set to 19 celsius (67 F) but the room t is not higher than 59 F
    Hi, please help me to solve the problem with thermostat. It's set to 19 celsius (67 F) but the room temperature is not higher than 15 celsius (59 F).
    What can the problem can be ? It's the oil furnace heating water, and water heats up the house.

Thank you
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 13, 2015, 08:40 AM
    What kind of thermostat do you have? Generally it's best to check for accuracy, or look around to see if there is something in the environment affecting it, like a doorway that's often used, or a draft from a window. 2 degree difference is acceptable, between actual temp, and readings.

Here's how,

How to Calibrate a Thermostat (with Pictures) | eHow

Then you can decide what your next steps will be. I have seen cases where the setting on a thermostat is too low to be effective, or efficient when the outside temperature has dropped and is colder than normal. So where are you and what are the outside conditions?

You can also try raising the settings, and retesting for accuracy. Here is another test to review,

http://www.ehow.com/how_12178903_tro...hermostat.html

It includes a resetting process. Assuming you have a digital/LCD thermostat. If you have the older round ones (mercury) it may be just off center.

Please let me know and we can go further if necessary.

Feb 13, 2015, 09:24 AM
    Thank you for your reply .
    The house is in Halifax ,Nova Scotia , Canada .The outside temperatures are low this winter :14-18 F.Yes, the thermostat is right in front of the main entrance door but I would not say that the door is opened /closed so often . But the thing is this thermostat is for laundry room, small toilet and a kitchen area , some cold is coming from the laundry room , so do you think this is a main issue ?
    The thermostat is digital using the small li battery and is programmable to set the temperature .So you think I should do is to increase the set temperature by 2-3 degrees?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 13, 2015, 09:56 AM
    Well first I would ask if this is more relevant to how the house feels, or how the therm settings look? Often we feel cold and look at the therm settings and freak a bit, (I have). However, as I said before, a 2 degree difference is acceptable, but a 4 degree one may well be an indication to at least check further.

I think just to check, I would raise it 5-10 degrees just to see what happens for a day/day and a half. That's after you do the checks recommended in the links I provided.

Maybe its time to replace the therm if it's that far off, and cannot be made to work better by just cleaning or adjusting. (I would be wearing a coat at your house if its 67F, inside). Comes down to what you want to do about what you find after checking.

Be aware that there are other things at play here also, like how hard is your system working to be -4 degrees off, but the therm is the first step in finding out what's going on at this point.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 13, 2015, 02:06 PM
    That is a big difference between ambient and inside-65* or so. Depending on house insulation values, including piping for the water, you may not get to the desired temp as the BTU out exceed BTU in. Do the baseboard pipes run through a crawl space? Buried underground?

Feb 14, 2015, 12:28 PM
    No , there are 2 pipes systems in the house .1 is in floor heating piping only in the basement and the second system is for all levels up from the basement and all piping are behind the drywall coming to baseboards in each room .
    Yes, winter is very cold this year in Nova Scotia .But the problem is that everywhere in a house the temperature is what was set on the thermostat but only the front portion of the main entrance level which includes a laundry room, small corridor and a bay dining nook area does not keep the set temp , this area facing north-east . Please if you have any more suggestions on how to increase the temp .Thank you
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2015, 06:56 PM
    What is the temperature & pressure on the boiler?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 14, 2015, 08:03 PM
    To see if the thrmostat is out of calibartion set it for 77 and see if it comes up to 69

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furnace works up to 67 degrees but error code 33 if set to 68 or higher. [ 0 Answers ]

Hi, I have done the following - replaced the air filter - checked for blocked pipes - replaced flame rollout switch - Fan is secure and spins Everything works fine until I increase the temp above 67... what the heck? Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Thermostat needs to be turned on higher and higher? [ 1 Answers ]

I used to have to turn the dial on thermostat for my electric baseboard to a 15 in my room, then I'll hear a click and the baseboard starts warming up. Now, 4 years later, I have to turn the dial a little pass 20 for it to click. Anything thing lower would start the heat. Why is that? It's only the...

Is it normal for house temp to be higher than what the thermostat is set on? [ 7 Answers ]

I have a new outside unit (one year old) and a new coil (brand spanking new) on my central air conditioning. We have had lots of troubles but things to be working okay for now. The only thing is, no matter what we set the thermostat on (usually around 75), the AC won't keep the house that cool. ...

Temp stays higher than thermostat -- radiant hydronic heating [ 3 Answers ]

There are 6 thermostats (Honeywell T8400B1018) throughout the house. 3 are in bedrooms we don't normally use.  I set those thermostats to 55 degrees and close the bedroom doors.  In one bedroom, the Temperature drops to 55 -- good. But the temperature in the other 2 rooms stays around 65-70...

House does not get higher than 70 degrees even though thermostat is set at 80. [ 1 Answers ]

We have a brand new oil burner. Even though I set the thermostat to 72, it doesn't get higher than around 68 even when I turn the thermostat up to 80.

View more questions Search