Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bamamaiden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2005, 02:23 PM
    Push Mower Trouble
    I tried to start my mower today and after a couple of pulls on the rope it locked up. I can not pull the rope nor can I turn the blade. Can someone help? Thanks
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2005, 05:05 PM
    Sounds like the rope, jumped the pulley and jammed it. How old is it? Older ones used a starter clutch, newer ones use a starter bowl, activated by ( starter dogs) that catch and turn it over, when released let go. Either way, the shroud has to come off, you may be able to pop it back in with a flat head.
    bamamaiden Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2005, 06:34 PM
    I hate to admit this , I don't know much about it. A friend gave it to me about 5 years ago. It was used then but not real old. All I know for sure is that it is a B&S 3.5 classic motor on a murray push mower. It doe,s have a primmer bulb on it. Thank you so much for the reply.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2005, 07:28 PM
    Have the same type myself, very reliable little thing... well for sure, your going to have to have someone take the shroud off, (its what the rope goes into) should be 4 bolts. Then check the recoil pulley, sometimes the rope can jump off and jam it, and well the rope won't go in, or come out, since these have flywheel brakes, the blade won't move, it will with a lot... of resistance, for safety issues... if the lever on the handle is not depressed, or course here in lies another thing that can go wrong, the cable that takes the brake off the flywheel, if it breaks. The rope won't come out but so far on newer ones with starter bowls... it won't at all with the older clutch. Which acts like a ratchet, but only goes one way, and that's inwards, it engages when you pull on the rope... if your not comfortable with it, have a friend do it, or a small engine shop. Oh and another thing... if you are able to spin the blade, with the handle lever pressed down, that would be working, but do remove the spark plug wire, on the classics they are not shielded with rubber, so keep it away from the plug.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Murray push lawnmower [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Murray push lawnmower that I want to know the year of manufacture. Model 21673X92A Date Mfg 1283 It has a Tecumseh engine TVXL115 56025A Many thanks.

Toro push lawn mower will not start [ 3 Answers ]

My Toro Lawn mower will not start. The starter cord will not pull. Please help! :mad:

Mower trouble [ 3 Answers ]

:p I really hate mowers. My mom just bought a new oldish riding lawn mower. Once we got a new battery it ran great the only problem was that the blade wasn't cutting but we got that problem solved. :o :o we just had to apply the attachment clutch. After that it was running great then it ran out...

Mower trouble [ 3 Answers ]

I have a masport Tecumseh mower model number TVS90 43754P.It starts but revs up and down then conks out I've changed the paper filter and empted the fuel tank and put clean unleaded fuel back in any information on what would make it to do this would be great :confused:

Gravity: A push or a pull? [ 1 Answers ]

Is gravity bent space-time which causes mass to "slide down hill" or is it a push force or pressure that is everywhere the universe that is shielded by mass? What experiments do or would show which model is correct?

View more questions Search