Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WCCL Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 12, 2013, 01:58 AM
    Modern 2000 Mini Van vs 1980's sports car in traffic light reverse collision?
    I was just in an accident recently less than a year ago, sitting behind a vehicle at a traffic light when out of nowhere and while looking at my stereo clock to see what time it was the vehicle in front of me reversed at such a high rate of speed and at a distance of at least 10 feet away from me and let me add to this he wasn't perfectly centered with my vehicle also but favoring his 1 o'clock had damaged the front end of my vehicle, my passenger fender and passenger door and front end paint, no sign of anything wrong with his bumper, no paint etc. He gets out and proceeds to the rear of his vehicle while laughing at this mistake and He claims that he didn't even see me behind him and that his excuse was that an 18 wheeler was turning from our 3 o'clock position onto our 6 o'clock, and upon impact my reflex was to just blow my horn, causing him to suddenly stop from accelerating up and over the hood of my car and I never seen it coming, there was police report and I had an ER visit that evening showing that I had sustained lumbar and cervical sprains and strains from this impact. Its called a LOW IMPACT COLLISION! Still suffering from this, the neglect from another not paying attention to their actions or surroundings will cause you more pain later on in Life! The truck never made the turn and I am physically paying the price! You have 2 years in our state for personal injury law suite and damages. He admitted to his fault to me, the police and insurance company, for the last few months I am still not able to function like I did before this accident! Hope your OK from your accident and not feeling any lasting side effects!

What are the most severe bodily injuries caused to the driver by a reversed vehicle at a stop traffic light that has more vehicle weight than the vehicle receiving the impact at a distance of less than 10 feet away with quick acceleration?

The vehicle sitting weighs 3,500 lbs the vehicle in front that reversed weighs 4,700 lbs and at a distance of 10 feet and from quick acceleration, what is the result of damage caused to the human body upon impact, short or long term?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 12, 2013, 02:20 AM
    Impossible to answer.
    If this was a real situation and you are suspicious of someone claiming injury, please describe the incident in MUCH more detail.
    carcrashexpert Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Feb 12, 2013, 04:59 AM
    Assuming your distance is correct, "quick acceleration" for most vehicle in low gear, including reverse, could peak out at 0.4-0.5g. Being generous and assuming 0.5g over 10 feet will give a maximum impact speed of 12mph. Not knowing the precise weight ratio or nature of the engagement between the vehicles, it's impossible to rigorously determine the change in velocity of both vehicles given that impact speed, but very roughly it would likely be no more than about 6mph for the heavier, reversing vehicle. There's no functional difference between driving in reverse and hitting something, or being struck from behind by another vehicle, so the threshold that would apply is that for rear-end "whiplash" style injury. Depending on what published sources you believe, the threshold for "reversible" injury (i.e. short-term stiffness etc.) starts at about 5mph. So, some minor injury might be possible.

Caveats apply to this answer, of course. This is very rough and if it needs to be established more rigorously, one should examine the vehicles and confirm damage matchup in order to establish the coefficient of restitution (the "springiness") of the collision. I'd also recommend acceleration testing the van.
    current pert

Feb 12, 2013, 05:02 AM
    carcrashexpert, OP asked this again in a new post with slightly more info.
    carcrashexpert Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Feb 12, 2013, 05:07 AM
    Yeah, saw it - but as you said, still not enough info, and it doesn't change my answer.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2013, 07:51 AM
    I'm an accident investigator. I believe this is impossible to answer.

I was assigned an accident some years ago. The woman was left paralyzed from the neck down. She had her head turned, looking over her left shoulder, when the car ahead of her backed into her.

There is no formula for injuries.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Feb 12, 2013, 07:59 AM
    I would say that being hit by a large car going 6 MPH could indeed cause injury. It's possible to be killed in a collision into a brick wall at 15 MPH, so I can imagine that some injury (and substantial front end damage) is possible in this scenario. The scope of physical injury is impossible to predict - but I would guess that whether the driver is properly belted or not has an effect as well.
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2013, 08:07 AM
    Maybe I'm reading the 3 threads wrong but it appears that the OP is/was the injured party. Is this an attempt to build up a case or for some other reason?

In my experience the injured party knows he/she is injured.

Maybe I've worked too many accidents - ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 12, 2013, 08:12 AM
    Please stop starting new theads about same issue,

I have attempted to merge your three questions. In doing so I have lost many good answers to you. I will try to find them and merge them also.

Just add info to this thread, and stop starting new ones
    current pert

Feb 12, 2013, 08:31 AM
    OK, now you have spelled it all out, when at first you just asked a one line hypothetical.

The crux of the matter is that YOU need to be pounding on virtual desks at your insurance company, who is supposed to deal with his insurance company. If they aren't doing their job, hire a lawyer. It's not your job to calculate collisions! And it's a waste of time anyway, PLUS you are the one with the injuries. If anyone would do calculations it would be the defendant. Gather your medical reports, contact your insurance co, and tell them that if they don't do more, you will sue them too. I hope you didn't settle already.
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2013, 09:00 AM
    Not the question, but it IS the accident investigator in me -
    " ... while looking at my stereo clock to see what time it was the vehicle in front of me reversed at such a high rate of speed and at a distance of at least 10 feet away from me ..."

How does OP know this if OP was looking at his/her clock at the time? Sorry, but this is just part of what I do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

99accord I can not find reverse light switch and car randomly dies while I am driving [ 3 Answers ]

just bought a 1999 honda accord and I cannot find the reverse light switch as my reverse light's don't work I changed fuse and bulbs still nothing, as well my car just randomly shuts down while I am driving and almost struggles to start back up after because the ignition will catch then will just...

Honda civic hatchbacks brake light and reverse lights stays on when the car is off. [ 1 Answers ]

When I turn my vehicle off.the reverse and brake lights stay on.

Modern time planet collision [ 3 Answers ]

Could it be possible for a planet in our solar system collide into another planet?

View more questions Search