Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sabacat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 21, 2004, 12:27 PM
    Cat likes bleach smell/taste
    My 8 month old cat seems to lose his mind when I get out the bleach/water mixture to clean my white kitchen counters. He jumps onto the counter, rolls around on it and licks it. Then we get into a cycle of him jumping up and my removing him until one of us gets tired of it. I've never seen a cat act like this except with catnip. What's up with this weird behavior?
    koriani Posts: 132, Reputation: 8

May 28, 2004, 06:54 AM
    Re: cat likes bleach smell/taste
    Hello,

I have never heard of this in my 10 years as a vet tech, although, I know cats can like things such as hairspray and lotion, so bleach isn't too much of a stretch.

Bleach isn't really as bad as one might think. The most you might see is vomitting which is really the worst thing because the reflux of bleach could cause damage to the esophogus. One would have to ingest a glassfull to have serious side effects.

Still, try to keep the cat away as much as possible to avoid any complications. Maybe you could shut the cat in a bathroom while you clean?

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    charry244 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2004, 11:55 AM
    I have four young cats that do the same thing when I bleach my kitchen counters. The behavior is as if I gave them a scoop of catnip. I have never heard of this and I am an advance cat owner--have dealt with several in my life. I can't find any information that explains this behavior or even others who have cats who do this.
    Kim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2004, 05:59 PM
    I have 4 cats. Only 1 of them has the bleach/chlorine thing. She goes nuts in a basket of clean whites and rolls around on top of the washer while its in use with a bleach product. If I've cleaned using a chlorine product.. she rubs, licks and then attacks my hands. She will chatter to me while I still have the scent on me. I'd love to investigate this phenomenon and see why this happens.
    BengalFan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2004, 09:28 AM
    I have been searching for MONTHS for the answer to this exact question (or find other cats who share the same fetish)!!

I have 4 little savages but only one (the only female - she's 8) goes bonkers over the smell of chlorine! I thought it might be a female/kitten thing. She's very 'maternal' to the other cats (and my balls of knitting yarn -- they all end up under the bed during a storm), so I thought the smell might mimic the scent of a baby kitten.

I first noticed it when I got a new hot tub and changed from bromine to chlorine. Whenever I come back in the house from a soak, she follows me around nipping at anything she can sink her pointy little teeth into. She will smoosh her face (and teeth) into my cotton terry robe to get at the scent (flavor?)! It's quite embarrassing when I have company over as she will nip at their calves and ankles, too!

The funny thing is that she is quite persistent and I have to keep an eye on her otherwise she will sneak up and pounce on me :o. Of course, it has since become our little game. ;D

I'm so very curious to know why this is.
    Sabacat Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2004, 12:19 PM
    I didn't ask those who replied but were your cats who went nuts for chlorine kittens? My cat just turned one year old and suddenly he could care less about the chlorine smell. I think that BengalFan is on the right track about it being a kitten thing (under 1 yr old) and something they seem to grow out of. Still wonder why some of them are crazy for it, though!
    BengalFan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 24, 2004, 02:25 PM
    My cat is 8 and not a kitten! She is, however, very maternal to the other cats which is why I thought it might be a kitten smell thing -- chlorine on my skin smells like a kitten to her that she feels needs to nuzzled around. She doesn't out and out bite, but rather she 'sneaks' nips.

They are all such odd little critters! Good thing they are so darn cute!
    gcr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2004, 08:26 AM
    I have 3 cats and 2 of them love the bleach smell. They are 13 and 14 years old and one has always been this way and the other just more recently. When I clean the bathrooms they immediately pick up on it no matter where they are in the house and come strolling in there and wallow on the floor the entire time I'm cleaning!
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2004, 02:31 PM
    My cat also likes the smell of bleach and anything that contains bleach - comet, draino, etc. I have to keep him away from the kitchen and bathroom when I'm cleaning, or else he will attempt to lick up the cleaner! He is almost 10 years old and has always behaved this way.
    Steevo Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Oct 31, 2004, 03:05 PM
    Our two 18 month Chinchilla persians usually go completely nuts when we come home from the pool and toss our swimming clothes on the floor.. They roll, smooch and bite (in a playful manner) at anything that smells of chlorine as well they make little chirping/chortleing sounds while they are under the 'spell'..

I'm going to get the handicam out each night when I get home from the pool this week and next.. if I capture something worthy, I'll post it.

Cheers

Steve
    coolkat Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2005, 09:32 PM
    This MAY be the answer
    Both of my cats do the same thing -- especially if I use bleach on the floor. I just read on another web site that bleach contains a chemical commonly found in CAT URINE which is ammonia! If this is the case, perhaps the cats think an unidentifiable cat has marked his or her territory. In this case, our cats' rolling behavior is probably a territorial act in an effort to reclaim his or her territory from the unknown intruder (the bleach). This is just a theory and I am not a vet but it seems to fit. Hope it was some help. :)
    Sienna's Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2005, 06:11 AM
    My Bengal goes bonkers over bleach, too
    She's 7 years old, fixed. I got her when she was 5, very maternal. I had her fixed, but I think the smell of bleach drove her wild from the day I got her. If it is on my fingers, from doing laundry or swimming in a pool, she reacts as though it is catnip, wiggling on her back in a circle, and definitely nipping my fingers! The effect takes place almost immediately. She never nips otherwise, but the smell of chlorine really drives her out of control; she'd nip harder but I give her a gentle 2-finger bop on the nose -- sometimes it takes several bops, "NO's", and glares.

Theories and speculations welcome. :)
    anothervicky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 27, 2005, 03:44 AM
    Cats and Bleach
    My 8 year old cat 'Smudge' goes wild over the smell of bleach, bit of entertainment when I'm cleaning the bathroom, seemed quite sweet until she started weeing as soon as I left the room on the bathroom rug. If I don't keep her locked out of that bathroom or keep an eye on her she'll sneakily wee in there. It must be the ammonia making her think it's another cat... Why else would she just start this naughty habit!

Whatever it is, I can't see her growing out of it now!
    elbamoreira Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2005, 11:11 AM
    Cats Go Crazy For Chlorine
    If it is any help to anyone out there, it is my understanding that cat urine contains chlorine and ammonia so that they may be reacting to the "territorial" aspect of the smell. Some cats mark for mating or mark territory with urine for whatever reason and this cleaning product contains one of the ingredients that cats recognize as "urine" and they may be anticipating some kind of sexual rendezvous. Well hope this helps
    jetboyb747 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 22, 2005, 10:44 PM
    Hot Tub Loving Kitty
    My male cat, 2 years old, goes nuts when I get out of the hot tub. Especially if the chlorine content is high. I just got out and before I came in the house, used my hand to sprinkle some extra chlorine in the water. He literally attacked my hand, and he has never done that before. I've looked everywhere on the net and can't find anything else but this blog. I think I tend to believe the urine vs. ammonia theory as reported in this blog. It seems like the only thing that makes sense. He did seem pretty predatory when he was lunging for my hands. Any other thoughts out there?
    shawnie6874 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2006, 10:13 AM
    And I thought my cat was the only strange one! She is a little over five years old and LOVES the smell and taste of bleach on my hands. Not only that, she is the same way with my crest white strips (which contains tons of peroxide). I am just glad to know that she isn't the only cat around that has this issue. My male cat could care less about the bleach smell.
    joshuatgarland Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 17, 2007, 08:31 AM
    Hi. I have 6 cats, 3 of them love the bleach as well. 1 of them is 8 years old, another is 4 years, and the third is 1 1/2. Even after an hour they still roll on the cleaned area.
    shelleybee Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 1, 2007, 10:52 PM
    My cat Maceo goes NUTS on chlorine! He bites and nips and my fingers, grabs my head with both paws and starts "cleaning" my hair wildly! He starts licking and nipping our feet like mad after we're out of the pool... he doesn't even react at much to catnip, it's quite hilarious. Also likes man sweat. Hmm,
    Fuzzypeg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 10, 2007, 07:57 PM
    My dear old Himmie, Oscar had a fetish for bleach from when we first got him at the age of one. The funniest example of his addiction was when I washed a pair of my jeans in bleach and hung them over the back of a chair to dry. About half an hour later I noticed the jeans had come alive – they were jerking about wildly as Oscar had inserted his head in one of the legs. Ever since that day he went crazy over bleach especially when I had it on my hands. He would rub his face on my hands and chew at my fingers. Now my Canadian Sphynx Ollie does the same thing, especially the finger nipping. I don’t think it’s an ammonia thing because of the ecstatic behaviour.
    Ps. This morning I tried the bleach thing on Ryder, my new Persian, and he showed great interest.
    This behaviour definitely demands some research!
    :)
    tallship57 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2008, 05:14 PM
    I just clean my bathroom and kitchen to disinfect my spring cleaning with Ultra bleach with clorex, I washed my hands thoroughly and then my cat comes into the living room where I was sitting and started nibbing at my hands and feet, then going wild like fed millions of gallons of cat nip, I phoned the vet, opened the windows, strange how a smell can make them react in a strange way...

She is still running around, sliding across the room on her back, etc... LOL...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Bad taste in mouth [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I had a root canal filling on a wisdom tooth 2 weeks ago. I have had a bad taste in my mouth ever since. For the past week I have been taking antibiotics as the root filled tooth became so painful. Now much better but still bad taste in my mouth. Any ideas?

My roots won't bleach! [ 2 Answers ]

I have very light bleached hair from dark brown, I got it that light from going to the salon a couple times and paying around $70-$90 per visit. Now I'm really broke and can't afford salon visits anymore, but I still want to keep my hair this light. I've tried a couple of the lightest blondes from...

The Quintessential Taste of Summer [ 18 Answers ]

Okay, for me foods really connect the seasons so with that said, its not really summer until I have made either a blueberry or rhubarb pie - YUM! :p (And noooo its not really summer ALL THE TIME in Florida... we do actually have seasons here too ha ha) What's your must-have summer culinary...

Help me please do you think he still likes me? [ 2 Answers ]

Me and my ex broke up 4 months ago because he thought I lied to him but really I didn't.but we still talk sometimes and I just talked to him online a few min ago and my pro is all about him and at the end I have I still love you a lot!. and his name he read it and was like why do you still like me...

"Sweat sock" smell, taste in water and ice [ 5 Answers ]

For the last 2 months, the water and ice that come from my refrigerator dispensers has smelled and tasted horrible and mildewy. I removed the (optional) water filter from the unit but the situation has not changed. (The filter was only 6 months old anyway.) Our tap water tastes fine--this seems...

View more questions Search