Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yekcam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2008, 06:50 PM
    Bryant Temp Rise Tooo High
    My 10 year old Bryant gas forced air furnace is distributing hot air that smells HOT. This has continued beyond the early initial fall heat smell period. I measured the plenium temp at 170F after a 10 min burn time. The info plate list the Temp rise as 55-85 F; which would translate to a max outlet Temp of 155F with out 70F ambient (fan is always running). Called Carrier/Bryant today and was given a max plenium Temp of 140F for my 395CAV036111 model.
    What could be causing the extreme rise?
    Furnace run well other that this HOT smell when the burners are on.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 01:05 AM
    Dirty filter
    Dirty A/C coil
    Closed off registers
    Defective limit control (need to find reason)
    Over fired
    Bad pressure regulator on gas valve
    Frdbrkl Posts: 94, Reputation: 7

Jan 12, 2008, 06:09 AM
    Check your filter, replace if packed. Check temp rise.

Check ALL return and supply vents and make sure they're cleared. Air flow is critical.

If you can see it, look at the A/C coil from the BOTTOM. This may mean removing the blower motor and sticking your head in the bottom of the furnace with a flashlight, or removing the front panel of the coil box. Seal tight when finished.

If it's still high, check the fan blower speed. Did you have the motor replaced this summer? Possibly a mechanic set the motor speed too low. For heat it should be in Low or Med Low speed. NOT HIGH! High speed is for A/C, air is much heavier and needs more push.

If these things don't drop it down to the proper temp rise-call a tech in to inspect and solve it as this involves safety. While we try to help when we can, there is no substitution for on the spot inspection-especially when it comes to safety issues.

Hope this helps.
    yekcam Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 06:55 AM
    Thanks for the inputs.
    Filter is good; replace every 3 months as fan runs constantly.
    Vents are all open.
    Other items will be checked as tech is coming on Tuesday to check

Thanks again
    Bill

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

10 mtns with high temp [ 9 Answers ]

Hi I asked what is classed as a high temp for and adult as I had flu symptoms and a temp of 38.3+. My baby is 10mths now has the same thing and has a temp of 38.3/38.5. I am giving her meds to try and keep it down and she has very light clothing on etc. I just wanted to know what is a high temp...

High temp [ 6 Answers ]

What is classed as a high temp in c.

Garlic worked tooo Well [ 2 Answers ]

I have a puppy.. border terrier.. 3 months.. I over did the garlic.. I was so happy it wasn't para.. now she has worms out of every pour and I have no car.. what would you do bedsides order a deep cleaning for your house? I am exhausted.. I need a break just for a few hours.

Oil furnace kick in and stop when water temp is high [ 2 Answers ]

Good afternoon, My house is heated with an oil furnace providing heat to a hot water baseboard system. For the last little while, I noticed the burner kicking-in for a few second when the thermostat send the signal (close the circuit) and stop with a second or two. When it does that the water...

View more questions Search