Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BristolKev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2013, 10:50 AM
    Hi. Today I wanted to install an outside light. The nearest power supply was an on/of
    Hi. Today I wanted to install an outside light. The nearest power supply was an on/off switch in the front room. I cut a new piece of cable and joined it into the switch with the existing wires. I ran the cable though to the other side of the wall into the hallway and wired them into a new switch. I then wired another length of cable into the new switch, ran the cable through the wall to the outside of the house and wired that into my outdoor light. I've obviously done something wrong as the lights are messed up. I have power going to the outside light but this seems to be controlled from the front room switch and the hallway switch and now I can't turn off the front room lights. Help please?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 16, 2013, 11:29 AM
    The nearest power supply was an on/off switch in the front room
    Describe the wiring in that box and what connections you made.
    BristolKev Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2013, 12:32 PM
    Standard red black and earth in original switch. Joined new cable in same holes. New switch, Red into top hole, blacks into L1 and earths to earth connector.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Nov 16, 2013, 01:31 PM
    Are you here in the U.S.A.

If you are, then a switch interrupts an ungrounded conductor (Hot). It does not make use of the Neutral (Return). Only recently has the electrical code be changed to require the Neutral conductor to be in the switch box outlet.

You need to go back to the original switch and remove the wiring you installed. Then find a supply branch circuit that you can splice into.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Nov 16, 2013, 01:41 PM
    Apparently you are located in the UK or EU. I am not familiar with your wiring practices and am not comfortable advising except to say that you have taped into a switch loop and do not have a neutral. In other words it won't work properly. Consult an local electrician.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Nov 16, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Consult an local electrician.
    My feelings as well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to wire 3 light switches with one power supply [ 4 Answers ]

I got a bathroom fan/light/night light and want to run 3 switches it has 1 black 1 white for the fan and 1 black 1red and 1white for the lights looking how to wire them to the switches like to see a diagram

Blinkiing power supply light? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Dell Vostros 220 and the cps seems to have burnt up (lots of winds and voltage changes in our neighborhood - and yes I use a power surge proctor)so I bought and installed a new cps and now the light in the back blinks green and there is no noise/fans when I try to power up. Does the cpu...

What does the blinking light on power supply mean? [ 9 Answers ]

I need help!! I have this computer that I have had for a long time now that worked perfectly until now I unplugged the computer ( relocating it to a different room) and when I got to the new room it wasn't working anymore I would press the power button and nothing but then I realized that there...

I want to install a run capacitor to my house electrical power supply, is it possible [ 1 Answers ]

My purpose is to save the energy consumption which is normally goes by reactive power. I want to get the get the store of electrical to minimize the power consumption which normally goes up by the number of start-up of the compressor.

How to install and power a Ceiling Light from a light switch? [ 1 Answers ]

I need to install a ceiling light in our bedroom. I have a single light switch and four outlets. One of the outlets is operated by the light switch. I have the following wires coming into the light switch box: three white wires/capped, three copper ground, three black/capped with a fourth pig...

View more questions Search