Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kenshapiro2002 Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2009, 08:48 AM
    When Should I Leave Circulator On?
    At hat outside temperature does it become efficient (cheaper!) to leave the circulator on constantly with my hot water boiler?
    Ken
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 2, 2009, 09:10 AM
    I'm a little confused here The normal set up for a circulator on a boiler operates like this Boiler maintains the set temp on the low side. Now thermostat calls for heat and when the boiler gets to set high temp the circulate turns. The boiler firring will shut down but the circulator will run to reach Thermostat temp and may boiler may re fire to matain heat for continued water flow.
    You can wire up the circ to come on as soon as the boiler fires up.

Ones a preheat to circ turns on and one is a semi cold start one the pipes only.
    This will be different if there's a domestic coil in the boiler.
    So after boiler basic you are saying you leave the circultaor on all the time?
    Not to be insulting but it almost sounds like you are talking about forced hot air and at the thermostat you flip it to fan on from auto?
    Either way the circulator or a squirrel cage fan can burn out after to many days of running
    Please more detailed info

Signed 21 Boat

If I helped to Answer your Question Please Rate my Answer

Jan 3, 2009, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by 21boat View Post
    I'm a little confused here The normal set up for a circulator on a boiler operates like this Boiler maintains the set temp on the low side. Now thermostat calls for heat and when the boiler gets to set high temp the circulate turns. the boiler firring will shut down but the circulator will run to reach Thermostat temp and may boiler may re fire to matain heat for continued water flow.
    You can wire up the circ to come on as soon as the boiler fires up.

Ones a preheat to circ turns on and one is a semi cold start one the pipes only.
    This will be different if theres a domestic coil in the boiler.
    So after boiler basic you are saying you leave the circultaor on all the time?
    Not to be insulting but it almost sounds like you are talking about forced hot air and at the thermostat you flip it to fan on from auto?
    Either way the circulator or a squirrel cage fan can burn out after to many days of running
    Please more detailed info

Signed 21 Boat

If I helped to Answer your Question Please Rate my Answer
    Nope... a hot water boiler. When the thermostat calls for heat, the boiler fires and the circulator turns on at the same time. When the temp is met, the boiler shuts off as does the circulator. Mine was wired so that I could turn on the circulator manually to run all the time if I wanted. I was told that when its very cold out, it is economical to do just that... keep the water moving past the still hot boiler once the system shuts off. Clearer?
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2009, 06:22 PM
    I don't know who told you that but scientifically it dozen;t make much sense. I realize that the boiler shut down and still hot, and the circ is used to keep drawing heat from shut down boiler . But there's a point when it delvolpes its on equal and its not gaining or losong heat between boiler and baseboard/raditors. If the boiler gets collied more heat it will take longer to heat up again. There in no ideal temp for what you are asking. If you want to save heat wrap and insulate all pipes off boiler. The other you can add to a boiler is a anticipateor. What this does in the spring is delay the boiler from firring right away when heat is called for. It séances that the outside air is getting warmer and tells boiler to delay straiting and coulates the rising temps. Say it 55 degrees out in the AM and the stat calls for heat and the temp rose 5 degrees in a set amount of time and what the sense of heating a chilled house when it will be warm in an hour of sun beating on the house. I have some apt buildings and I wired the circ to go on when boiler starts.

Signed 21 boat

If heloped to Answer Your Question Please Rate My Answer
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Jan 3, 2009, 06:36 PM
    The switch for the circulator might be a service disconnect of sorts. Usually unless a boiler has a domestic water coil installed the circulator will shut down when there is no longer a call for heat. The pump should be turned off if no call for heat unless your system has a problem with freezing pipes in severe cold weather. By allowing the circulator to run when the boiler is not running can increase the chance of a cold boiler start or condensation forming on the boiler sections which can do damage to the boiler.

Jan 5, 2009, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hvac1000 View Post
    The switch for the circulator might be a service disconnect of sorts. Usually unless a boiler has a domestic water coil installed the circulator will shut down when there is no longer a call for heat. The pump should be turned off if no call for heat unless your system has a problem with freezing pipes in severe cold weather. By allowing the circulator to run when the boiler is not running can increase the chance of a cold boiler start or condensation forming on the boiler sections which can do damage to the boiler.
    Thanks guys.
    Ken

Jan 5, 2009, 04:45 PM
    No problem.

Jan 5, 2009, 07:43 PM
    Time flies like an arrow... fruit flies like a banana.
    Groucho Marx

Jan 5, 2009, 09:57 PM
    I like all the Marx brothers especially the horn blowing, no talking Harpo. But in all actuality Harpo could talk. Here is Harpo and his adopted children he loved so much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

When does circulator run? [ 7 Answers ]

Hi Mark, hope you can help me here, I am having problems with a back to back toilets in a bathroom & ensuite, when one toilet is flush the other toilets waste does not enter the other toilet, but dis-coloured water does if you understand what I mean, could it be that the stench pipe needs a...

Circulator for Burnham boiler [ 2 Answers ]

I just bought an old house with a Burnham Jubilee boiler. It most be at least 40 years old but checked out fine when I had it cleaned out and serviced. My system has one circulator and three zones. A honeywell aquastat L8024 controls everything. Lately I've noticed that the circulator is running...

Circulator pump not spinning [ 2 Answers ]

I have an oil furnace plenty of oil and power to everything, but the circulator will not work. It hums when I turn the t-stat up. I would like to repair it. I cannot afford to replace it today -- and pay emergency service prices.

Circulator [ 1 Answers ]

I am installing an outdoor furnace, should I use bronze or cast iron circuators?

View more questions Search