Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alrightthen Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Nov 26, 2008, 06:35 AM
    Credit Card Debt? Consolidate using debt consolidation agency? Good or Bad?
    Does it reflect negatively on my credit report if I consolidate credit card debt using a debt consolidation agency? I can make my credit card payments, but only the minimums. The APR's are mid to high teens -- I feel like a hamster on a wheel. Is it worse to continue like I am, with credit cards maxed out and making very little headway on them? Or is it worse to get help? I have about $30,000 on credit cards. It's horrible I know. Any ideas on how to fix this would greatly appreciated. :confused:
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 06:42 AM

It depends on the manner of debt consolidation. If a company buys all of your debt and then you pay to them at a lower rate this won't negativly affect you. If they work with the CC companies to get you a lower rate and then take a single payment from you and pay them, it affects your credit some. The CC companies report your account as closed but with a balance. Having no major CC open on your account affects you a bit.

The biggest thing though is the debt ratio. If you have 30k in credit limits and 30k in debt, that looks bad.

So IMO, its worse to continue like you are. The best thing you could ever do for your credit is get out of debt.

Nov 26, 2008, 07:32 AM

Thank you! Where do I find a company to "buy" my debt and let me pay them?
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 07:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrightthen View Post
    Thank you! Where do I find a company to "buy" my debt and let me pay them?
    That's the tough part. Most probably won't unless you have a home with some equity.

My advice would be to call one of the non-profit credit companies like InCharge.org. They will set you up with the best plan they can.

Nov 26, 2008, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Thats the tough part. Most probably wont unless you have a home with some equity.

My advice would be to call one of the non-profit credit companies like InCharge.org. They will set you up with the best plan they can.
    I do have a home with A LOT of equity ($200,000); but I haven't been able to get a home equity loan because of my credit card debt -- kind of a catch-22. Is there something else I can do with the equity in my house? Thank you again, so much.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Alrightthen View Post
    I do have a home with A LOT of equity ($200,000); but I haven't been able to get a home equity loan b/c of my credit card debt -- kind of a catch-22. Is there something else I can do with the equity in my house? Thank you again, so much.
    Talk to the NPO Credit people. They will help you find the best solution including finding someone that WILL give you the HEL. Make sure you use a non-profit though. Many of the others will just make things worse.
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2008, 08:58 AM

Some advice because I recently filed bankruptcy, don't buy it unless you have the cash for it.

Nov 26, 2008, 09:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyoftwins200 View Post
    Some advice because I recently filed bankruptcy, dont buy it unless you have the cash for it.
    Hello. Thanks for the help; but what are you referring to when you say "don't buy it"??
    mommyoftwins200 Posts: 62, Reputation: 2

Nov 26, 2008, 09:01 AM

When your in a store if you don't have the money for that item like cash, then do not buy it I had to learn the hard way.
    Ultra Member

Nov 26, 2008, 09:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyoftwins200 View Post
    When your in a store if you dont have the money for that item like cash, then do not buy it I had to learn the hard way.
    While good advice, not really the topic in question here.
    mcarson6775 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2010, 06:59 AM
    Good question. I got <a href="http://www.debtguru.com/">credit card counseling</a> at http://www.debtguru.com and it was so extremely helpful. You can get help! Good luck.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Jul 12, 2010, 10:00 AM

Debt consolidation companys can be "iffy". Not all the companies you owe have to particpate with them. Some will while others won't.
    Debt consolidation is something you could do yourself. Reason being these companies will charge you a big amount just to try to consoidate your debts. Bottom line might work ,might not

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

In credit card debt.should I.consolidate?negotiate?eliminate? What is the BEST? [ 1 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and have credit card debts of about $45k. I cannot afford my credit card payments but everything is current by putting myself deeper into debt. It is a cycle I need to STOP! What is the BEST option for me. Online you find debt elimination companies, debt consolidation...

Debt consolidation agency anyone know any that really work [ 1 Answers ]

I have 20k in cc debt, I am horribly behind, have no job and am collecting ss are there any legitimate credit card/debt relief agencies out there?

Summon from Collection Agency on Old Credit Card Debt (SOL expired) [ 6 Answers ]

I received a copy of a Summons and Complaint in my mail box. It was mailed by first class mail. This Summon is from Asset Acceptance, a debt collector agency. They have bought over my Providian credit card account which has been charged off (with last activity in April 2001 - based on my latest...

View more questions Search