Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rsavellone Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2011, 05:48 PM
    Connecting batteryless thermostat with a "C" (fifth) terminal to my furnace
    Thank you MyDad'sGirl77. Though I never thought of my problem as a plumbing problem, your response was most helpful, and it spawns new questions in my mind. My transformer leads of course are connected somehow to those four (R,G,W,Y) terminals on my furnace. My multimeter shows 24VAC between R and each of G,W, & Y at my furnace. There is no voltage reading between any of the other terminals. I'm guessing R is the hot transformer output. If this is so, why could I not jump from R to C at my thermostat? The thermostat installation literature says "C" should be connected to 24VAC. If not a jump from R, how about a jump from Y?
    wmproop Posts: 3,749, Reputation: 91
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2011, 11:44 AM
    If you jumper red to y, c or anywhere else you probably going to fry the transformer
    The only wire that's supposed to be hot is the red which is power coming from the transformer then when the tstat is set to cool it then sends the 24V power to contactor and to fan control
    Same way if tstat is set to heat ,the tstat then is sending 24V to furnace startup relay
    Setting the tstat to fan only sends 24V to fan control
    The c/common post is kind of like a ground for the tstat so it can operate off the 24V coming from the transformer so there will be no need to put batteries in the tstat itself,, don`t know of any other way to explain

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

"C" terminal on Honeywell batteryless thermostat THX9321R5000 [ 9 Answers ]

I purchased online a $400 Honeywell remote controlled batteryless thermostat to upgrade the HVAC battery powered thermostat in my home, and when I tried to install it I easily wired the R, G, W, and Y terminals in the new thermostat with the same wires that were connected to those terminals on my...

Honeywell Thermostat Rc Terminal [ 1 Answers ]

I installed a new honeywell RTH7600D thermostat and connected the Red wire to the Rc terminal instead of the R terminal and left the jumper in as the manual suggested. Is it possible that it shorted out the transformer in the Furnace? Because even thuogh I have correctly now connected the Red...

Connecting a #14 stranded wire to a #8 screw terminal [ 4 Answers ]

What are 5 products that could be used to connect a #14 stranded wire to a #8 screw terminal?

No RC terminal on new thermostat? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello: I saw your name on an internet search for thermostat wiring problems, so I thought I would try you for this one. I could not get help elsewhere. I have an oil burner, and a separate a/c unit. I installed a programmable thermostat 2 years ago that works well, although the location is...

View more questions Search