Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bigbon Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2011, 09:04 AM
    Social security/widows pension?
    Can I receive social security from my deceased husband,I am only 54 years old
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Oct 27, 2011, 09:08 AM
    I don't know about your late husband's pension. Pensions vary. Social Security does not:

"If your husband dies, you can get widow's benefits if you are age 60 or older. If you are disabled, you can get widow's benefits as early as age 50. Your benefit amount will depend on your age and on the amount your deceased husband was entitled to when he died. If he was receiving reduced benefits, your survivor benefit will be based on that amount.

If you are a widow with children, you may be eligible for a widow's benefit at any age when you are caring for a child who is younger than 16 or disabled and entitled to benefits. As a widow, you also may be eligible for Medicare at age 65.

If you remarry before you reach age 60 (or age 50 if disabled), you cannot receive widow's benefits as long as that marriage remains in effect. If you remarry after you reach age 60 (or age 50 if disabled), you will continue to receive benefits on your deceased husband's Social Security record. However, if your current husband is a Social Security beneficiary, you should apply for a wife's benefit on his record if it would be larger than your widow's benefit. You cannot get both.

If you also are entitled to retirement benefits based on your own work, you have some other options. Ask a Social Security representative to explain the options, so you can decide which would be best for you."

What Every Woman Should Know

EDIT: Here you say you are 45. Which is it, 54 or 45? https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/govern...on-431496.html
    woollaston Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2012, 02:27 AM
    My mam is 58 and lost her husband 3 weeks ago, she is in receipt of DLA and income support, will she be entitled to widows entitlement?
    connor1510 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 12:41 AM
    My dad is 67 years old and his wife my mum has died is was 65 years old, is he entitled to a widows pension? And is there a grant system to help him pay for the funeral? They both receive a state pension, and my dad has one private pension
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 06:27 AM
    Where?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jun 9, 2012, 07:27 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Where?
    And as you said ~8 months ago, "Pensions vary."

From the use of the term "mum", my guess is that Connor is in the UK, or at any rate not in the US, so Social Security would not apply.
    Uber Member

Jun 9, 2012, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    And as you said ~8 months ago, "Pensions vary."

From the use of the term "mum", my guess is that Connor is in the UK, or at any rate not in the US, so Social Security would not apply.

That's what I'm thinking, but "state pension" throws me back to the US.
    Bea Lima Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 07:34 AM
    I am a widow 65 yrs old, I began receiving a portion of my husband's social security benefit at age 60. I receive a small retirement pension from a school dept. where I did not pay into social security so his benefit is adjusted. My question is at my retirement age which is 66 will I receive a portion of my social security benefit. I have paid into it and have all my quarters.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 07:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bea Lima View Post
    I am a widow 65 yrs old, I began receiving a portion of my husband's social security benefit at age 60. I receive a small retirement pension from a school dept. where I did not pay into social security so his benefit is adjusted. My question is at my retirement age which is 66 will I receive a portion of my social security benefit. I have paid into it and have all my quarters.

No, you receive whichever is higher, yours or his.

This is (one of) my arguments with Social Security. If you are widowed and file for benefits at retirement age you will receive the higher of the two (yours/your husband's) and none of the other.

For example, my mother collects my late father's SS benefits but none of her own. Everything she paid into SS just goes into the system.
    Bea Lima Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Thanks for responding to my question. It is what I thought. It really stinks because my husband's social security benefit is not much because he died at an early age and was not retirement age and they deduct my pension amount ( or a %) from it. I had to go to work because I can not run my household with this small amount. I have been working for 6 years paying into social security and I will never see that money. I guess I have to work until I die!!
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2012, 08:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Bea Lima View Post
    Thanks for responding to my question. It is what I thought. It really stinks because my husband's social security benefit is not much because he died at an early age and was not retirement age and they deduct my pension amount ( or a %) from it. I had to go to work because I can not run my household with this small amount. I have been working for 6 years paying into social security and I will never see that money. I guess I have to work until I die!!!

Same thing happened to me - my husband died below retirement age.

I worked my entire life, I still work, and I'm paying SS on my "account" but receiving his benefits.
    natana Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2013, 11:03 AM
    I lost my husband when I was 40 years old, and had two minor children and I never knew about mother's allowance or widow s benefits, should I be able to get them retroactive, since SS office failed to inform me? I live in Ma, USA

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Social Security Widows Pension [ 7 Answers ]

If you remarry can you still collect your Social Security Widows pension?

Social security widows pension [ 7 Answers ]

I am 48 with no children and my husband just passed away on Sunday 1/3/10, am I entitled to widowers pension payments?

Widows pension & social security [ 5 Answers ]

I am a widow age 48, my husband age 55 suddenly died. He has paid he full amount towards Social security. I have two children, age 17 and 13. Am I entitled to his Social Security benefit as well as benefits for the two children? I am currently employed as a physical therapist.

Social security widows benefits [ 1 Answers ]

My neighboor Alice is a 62 years old housewife that never worked. Her husband is 74 and receives $1,400 net social security income. If he dies, I guess she would receive only half of that amount. Some have said the benefit at age 60 would be reduced by 28.5% Probably take home in the...

Pension /social security taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am 56 years old. I plan on retiring at 60 from lockheed martin. Do I have to pay any taxes on my pension amount? Do I pay 85% on SS amounts in excess of $44,000 (married,file jointly)? Thanks for your help.

View more questions Search