Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mradventure Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2009, 12:04 PM
    Is diamond certification necessary/which certification is best?
    I’ve been researching diamonds for engagement rings, and I keep seeing different certifications. What certifications should I be looking for, and what are the advantages of buying a certified diamond?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 13, 2009, 12:35 PM

A certified diamond assures you that it is the best quality you can buy and will never decrease in value. As in all Canadian diamonds, they are inscribed with a tiny polar bear, certifying authenticity. Color really doesn't mean anything to the quality of the diamond, there are yellow and pink, quite rare and expensive, being found in different strata of ores.

tick
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Aug 15, 2009, 12:35 PM

There are 4 c's to a diamond

Clarity
    Color
    Cut
    Carat

The 4 C's of diamonds -- diamond clarity, diamond colors, diamond cuts, diamond weights -- diamond grades for the diamond buyer
    mradventure Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2009, 03:55 PM
    Thanks for the input. I actually looked into it, and I'm definitely not buying an uncertified diamond. A diamond certification guarantees that the 4Cs of your diamond have been evaluated in a laboratory (they can't be assessed using the naked eye). There's a lot of technology out there to alter diamonds, and if I'm paying for a natural diamond I definitely want to know for sure that that's what I'm getting. A GIA diamond grading report seems like the way to go; GIA invented the 4Cs, and it's totally unaffiliated. A diamond is something I want to feel good about buying, so for me it has to be certified.
    Shenoa Diamonds Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2009, 02:20 PM

Diamonds Certificates come from various Independent Gemologial Laboaratories such as GIA, IGI, EGL, AGS, etc. to show the purchaser quality and other criteria like weight, polish, symmetry, proportions, etc. of the diamond.

These independent labs make sure that buyer is getting exactly the diamond they are looking at. Lately these labs laser engrave the certificate number to the girdle of the diamond so with a 10X magnification you can verify it yourself.

When you look at a diamond under a microscope the color and clarity could look different to people so labs become the ultimate authority of the specification of the diamond.

Plus they are very useful when you are getting a diamond insured so that insurance company knows exactly what is insured. Almosy all certificates will not list the value of the diamond, for that you need an appraisal from an independent appraisal service.

Shenoa Diamonds
    jennycarol Posts: 72, Reputation: 1

Oct 22, 2009, 03:45 AM
    The diamond certificate helps with resale of the diamond and recovery or insurance purposes.

The certificate also gives you the assurance that the diamond's 4Cs and other characteristics are truly mentioned by the diamond seller.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

NATE Certification [ 4 Answers ]

Are there sample questions you can down load for NATE certification?

Certification Tips [ 7 Answers ]

I'm currently studying for my MCSA certification, then moving on to MCSE. I'm also planning on getting my Network+, A+, and CCNA certifications. I currently have (just recently obtained) the MCP and MCDST from Microsoft, and SCA from HDI. What other certs would you recommend, and what yould...

View more questions Search