Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dbonn99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Septic Tank Odor Outside When Washing Machine Drains
    When my washer drains, the water flows into my septic tank. Immediately, septic odor comes from the septic tank area outside (not from the washer, not inside the house). I suspect that the volume of water is displacing some stinky gas and it is not escaping where it should. Where should that gas escape?

I don't notice it when I use other drains, but it might be just the massive volume of water that makes it noticeable from the washing machine.

Thanks
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 21, 2007, 03:23 PM
    You don't need me my friend. You did a great job of analyzing the problem yourself. That's exactly what's going down. Is there a vent on your septic tank? Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Septic tank odor [ 1 Answers ]

I just completed a masterbathroom addition to my 1952, 2/1 home. I had a new septic tank and drainfield put in. Recently, I've detected a sewage odor coming from the old bathroom. There's no smell outside the house. And the odor seems to occur after a heavy rainstorm. This problem never happened...

Dirt odor from sink; septic tank [ 2 Answers ]

My house is 7 years old and has a septic tank. The disposal motor quit about one week after warranty expired. I put mesh strainers in drain and did not replace disposal since I am the only resident now. It has been nearly 2 years and I have begun to smell dirt (like digging in a garden) around...

Septic tank odor in house [ 1 Answers ]

When I do laundry the smell of our septic tank comes in the house. Any ideas about what can solve this??

Drains backing up, only when washing machine drains [ 2 Answers ]

My tubs are backing up only when my washing machine drains. I thought it was my sewer line and used an auger to clear that, but it's still happening. Could I need a new washer? This one is over 10 years old.

Toilet closest to washing machine gurgles and backs up when washing machine drains. [ 2 Answers ]

When the washing machine drains, the toilet in the next room gurgles and the bowl partially fills. I have taken these steps: Ran hose down vent pipe on roof. No backup noticed. Had plumber snake from outside wall cleanout by washing machine and 1/2 bath toilet to city sewer line in alley,...

View more questions Search