Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 4, 2005, 03:01 PM
    Doxie Pups Run From Me
    How can I get my 9 month old Doxie pups from running away from me? The female does this when I want to put her in the kennel (she will not be bribed with treats) and the male when he occasionally gets out the front door and runs across the street. I've "had it" with the both of them and ready to throw them away! ;)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2005, 01:21 PM
    Cut back on the treats, and then obedience train them. Too many people fail to take small dogs seriously. They may need the training even more than bigger ones. Having a good pack structure reduces such problems. The dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. Spay/neuter them if not already.
    "Come" needs to be taught as part of proper pack status and obedience. The
    Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their
    Own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack
    Members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. Start at
    http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/.

Start with a good 6' leather leash and a sturdy slip collar, the metal chain
    Ones with the rings on each end. You want the shortest one that will go on
    And off easily. If you walk with the dog on the left, pull the chain through
    One loop forming a "P". Facing it, slip it over its head. The free end
    Should come over the neck to the leash, and the other end should drop slack
    When there is no pull on the leash. Before 4 months use a conventional flat
    Collar to protect the tender young neck.

Only try to work one dog at a time. With the dog at the end of the leash, call its name and "Come" in a firm voice. If it comes, praise it lavishly and pet it. If it doesn't come, repeat the
    Command and give the leash a light snap. Keep it up with firmer leash snaps
    Until the dog does come. Do not forget the praise. Then switch to a longer
    Leash or rope, about 25'. When it comes well on the longer leash, you should
    Be able to go to
    Off leash in a fenced area, etc. Once the dog is doing well, introduce come,
    Treat. This is for emergencies only when the dog has gotten loose accidentally.
    Use it routinely and you will have nothing to fall back on when your dog is
    Headed for a busy street. "Name, come treat!" is little different from the
    Regular "Name, come!", except the dog gets a great treat when it comes. We are talking a hot dog, cheese, etc. much better than any treat you use routinely.
    becky92029 Posts: 104, Reputation: 3

Sep 5, 2005, 01:48 PM
    Thank you for your reply.
    I'll give http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ some looking at and have it bookmarked. You are right, I haven't taken my small dog's training as seriously as in the past with the bigger ones. I'm pretty rusty on the basic commands and the puppies right now just seem more like babies than puppies who need training for their safety. It's that "mother" thing, I guess, now that my kids are gone.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do chiuahua pups get along with kittens? [ 1 Answers ]

Well u can call me Candy if you would like 2. :D :D um... I'm new here and I'm open 2 new things and love seeing different answers. So my question is Do 8 week old chiuahuas get along with 8 month old kittens? Please answer ASAP!

Will a mother beagle eat her pups? [ 1 Answers ]

We have a mother beagle that gave birth to 7 pups. They are 3 weeks old today and now we have 4. We found half a head where the mother had eaten one and we assume 2 others. Is this normal? Puppies were developing well. The 4 left seem well nourished and healthy. Mother seems to have plenty...

Help, doxie sick [ 2 Answers ]

Help, I have a 1-1/2 year old Doxie, Nina. She's sick and need advice. The other day, she slept throughout the day and night. The only time she'll get up is when we took her out to potty. She didn't even get up to eat or drink anything. The next day she slept throughout the day. She finally ate...

Barking Doxie [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini doxie who is a year old. She continues to bark at everyone, I try to distract her with her toys or tell her to quiet down. I bring her to work with me on occasion. She's always around other people and dogs since she's been 3 months old. Lately, she barks at everyone. I can't get...

Can you help me with my Doxie-Pom? [ 2 Answers ]

I have had my adorable little Doxie/Pomeranian puppy, Sparky, for a little over a week now. The Doxie is definitely predominant in him. He's been to the vet, and is being treated for parvovirus. How serious is this? The vet said it's rare for a puppy to die from it, but that doesn't exactly...

View more questions Search