Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    luckytech Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 02:08 PM
    Taxes for h1b visa holder
    Hi

I changed my status from j1 to h1b in december2006. I am in us from feb 2006 my wife who joined me on j2 visa in march changed her status to h4 in December 2006, and she has the social security number. I also moved from New York to Texas in December 2006, I want to know which forms would I be filing for 2007 since I already filed form 1040NR as I was in j1 for the year 2006. And which form would I file tax return for my wife she is on h4 now and she has the ssn also. And we have been here in us from march 2006.

Please help me out.

Thanks
    taxsearcher Posts: 222, Reputation: 8

Mar 29, 2007, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by luckytech
    hi

i changed my status from j1 to h1b in december2006. i am in us from feb 2006 my wife who joined me on j2 visa in march changed her status to h4 in december 2006, and she has the social security number. i also moved from new york to texas in december 2006, i want to know which forms would i be filing for 2007 since i already filed form 1040NR as i was in j1 for the year 2006. and which form would i file tax return for my wife she is on h4 now and she has the ssn also. and we have been here in us from march 2006.

please help me out.

thanks

You are both Non-Residents. File a 1040NR each.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 4, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Agreed; you BOTH file Form 1040NR.

You may also want to file Form 3903 to claim moving expenses.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRA account for H1B Visa Holder [ 5 Answers ]

I'm an Indian Citizen working as a consultant here in US and my current employer does not offer any 401(k) plans or other options. Is there a way I can open a IRA account ( say with ETrade or ShareBuilder) without any issues from my employer's side/ or his knowledge? Are there any more...

For Atlanta Tax Expert - Taxes for H1B Visa Holder [ 1 Answers ]

First of all thanks for all your posts they are very useful Have a few questions. I am an Indian who came to the US on F1 Visa in 2003 graduated in May 2005 and have been working since Oct 2005 on H1B Visa. Last year I filed 1040NR. Here are the questions: 1. Since in 2006 I was on H1B for...

Taxes for H1B Visa Holder [ 1 Answers ]

Have a few questions. I am an Indian who came to the US on F1 Visa in 2003 graduated in May 2005 and have been working since Oct 2005 on H1B Visa. Last year I filed 1040NR. Here are the questions: 1. Since in 2006 I was on H1B for the full year do I file as a resident i.e.. Use Form 1040? 2. I...

TAX Exempt for OPT/H1b visa holder [ 1 Answers ]

I have been working in New York from November of 2005 with OPT visa (F-1) and got H-1 visa in October, 2006. I was told I should file tax as a non-resident for 2006 but I'm wondering if I can still claim exempt as a student for the time I worked as a OPT holder. (I did not claim it for 2005) And...

Tax Return for H1B visa holder -expenses- [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1B visa since this Oct. 2nd. My OPT expired on June 2006, so I went back to Japan and stayed there Until end of Sept. My company hold my position while I am gone since I was supposed to apply last year (Due date was so quick so I could not Apply, but company promissed they'll...

View more questions Search