Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dr.B Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2006, 06:27 PM
    Color coded wires
    This is a two part question:
    1. I have a 28 year old Carrier furnace model #31MM220120 and need to know which wire color matches with the newer motor colors. In the furnace there are wires such as orange, white, beige... How do I match up the old color coded wires with the new color coded wires?

2. The replacement motor has the following colored wires: yellow/green, brown, white,black, blue,red, brown/white,yellow connected to purple and orange connected to brown. What is the meaning of each of these colors or what does each color connect??
    Thanks...
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2006, 03:02 PM
    White is line voltage from contactor. Red is low speed, blue med speed and black is high speed connected to relay. The yel and purple are for the rotation of fan and the brn& brn/white go the capicator. Normally this is indicated on the motor. Cap off the unused speed wires not being connected to the relay
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2006, 10:18 AM
    Connect the brn&brn/white to the capicitor-white to contactor-black(high speed) to fan relay. Cap off the red and blue. The yel & purple are the rotation of fan. They can be changed to switch the rotation of fan.
    dvqjimbo1 Posts: 28, Reputation: 2

Sep 27, 2006, 03:25 PM
    Are the wire color codes you explained on 4-17-06 pretty much standard, or just for carrier ?
    Ultra Member

Sep 27, 2006, 03:32 PM
    Normally these are standard through the industry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need name of older movie [ 2 Answers ]

It most probably was on television late 70's early 80's. There was a woman who cured the sick by touching them. I remember one scene in which she stopped a little girl's nosebleed. I know it's not much, please help if you can. Thanks!!

3 white wires? [ 7 Answers ]

I was trying to install a "recycled" ceiling fan/light fixture and when I took the old fixture off I saw 3 white wires bundled together. The white wire from the old fixture was attached to that bunch and the black was on black. When I test the wires, 2 of the white wires run the electricity on...

3 wires + 2 wires  POOL MOTOR [ 2 Answers ]

I need help connecting a motor for my pool. The motor has 3 wires coming out of it. 1 white, 1 black, 1 black with a white stripe. A continuity test on the 2 blacks says they are wired together somewhere. I have a power cable coming out of the ground. 1 white + 1 black cables inside. ...

Wiring not color coded [ 2 Answers ]

Hi. New to site think its great Recently purchased home, built in 1957. I am installing new fixtures in the home and noticed the wiring is not color coded. What I have is 2 black wires and a bare copper . What I'm trying to figure out what is the "white" and "black" . Any help will be...

Hampton Bay remote wires do not match fan wires [ 1 Answers ]

Yesterday I installed a new Hunter ceiling fan. I also purchased a Hampton Bay wireless wall switch. Everything went well until I wired up the remote receiver. The receiver has a blue wire for the light that is supposed to connect to the blue wire (light) from the fan. The Hunter fan does not have...

View more questions Search