Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lcason Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2008, 07:18 AM
    Water Softener Using Excessive Salt
    I have a water softener that is approximately 10 years old. Over the past few months it
    Has started to use an excessive amount of salt; now up to about 200 pounds per month.
    Should I replace it or is there an easy fix?
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Jul 30, 2008, 07:31 PM
    I tell my customers that the life expectancy of a softener is about 10 years on average. You will do maintenance over the 10 years, but usually at about 10 years, it will nickel and dime you without major overhaul or replacement.

There is still a possibility that it is something simple. Does it stick in backwash? Is it designed to backwash after "x" number of gallons run through it, or does it backwash every so many days. If you know make and model, I might be able to guide you a little better.

Al
    lcason Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2008, 05:40 AM
    Found out that the "resin" needed replacing, so I bought a new unit. Thank you.
    albinfla Posts: 310, Reputation: 35

Jul 31, 2008, 12:43 PM
    You are welcome for the response. At 10 years old, it was due. However, the resin was not the reason that it was using so much salt. I'm curious if that was your conclusion, or if that was a softener salesman's assessment? Or was it a qualified technician? Just curious!

Al

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water softener resin clogging water supply lines [ 1 Answers ]

We have a water softener that has a resin filter that has broken numerous times due to surges in water pressure. This time we didn't realize it had broken in time to bypass the softener and avoid getting resin in the lines again. We've already flushed the resin out of the 2 toilets and 2 sinks...

Water softener salt bridge [ 2 Answers ]

We have a Kenmore water softener about 14-18 mo. Old. For at least 5 mo. I have had a recurring salt bridge. I break it up as per manual instructions, and the salt level goes down about 1/2 inch before the salt bridge recurs. There is no odor, no discoloration, just a water softener that doesn't do...

Constant running water noise, old water softener pipes? [ 3 Answers ]

When we bought our house, it came with a decommissioned water softener in the laundry room. The pipes behind it (I'm assuming in and out) were capped off with plastic plugs that toggle back and forth. If you're familiar with Dr. Dolittle, I'd call it a pushmi-pullyu setup. (sorry, I'm an admin, not...

Water softener doesn't use any salt [ 1 Answers ]

My water softener runs but never uses any salt. Any ideas as to the problem? Thanks

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone within or adjacent to the rain forest [ 2 Answers ]

Describe a fresh water or salt water life zone in the rain forest

View more questions Search