Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamuhta87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2006, 04:27 PM
    Fixed cost are really variable
    I need some help regarding my college assignment..
    The question is about fixed cost..
    Could somebody please help me?

“Fixed costs are really variable. The more you produce, the smaller the unit cost of production.” Is this statement correct? Why or why not? Use an example to explain this.:confused:
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Apr 11, 2006, 11:38 PM
    Since I LOVE to do your homework assignment for you, I have written up a 20 page response in my head. But since I am limited by time, I will give you the cut and dry speech of it…

The statement is NOT a correct one.

Why?

Because:
    - unit costs are a soft number, not a hard one. How much electricity should be donated to 1 unit, especially if you have a multi product division, no one really knows.

- in the short run, Fixed Costs are irrelevant since they cannot be controlled. If I decided to produce 100 units of 1,000 units this month, my Fixed Costs will still be $500. Therefore, Fixed costs are irrelevant in the short run

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fixed costs vs. Variable costs [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please check my answers. -Classify each of the following items of factory overhead as either a fixed or a variable cost. (Include any costs you consider to be semivariable within the variable category) a. Indirect labor- fixed costs could be variable under certain circumstances b....

Variable Stars [ 2 Answers ]

I have forgotten how scientists measure the distance to stars by studying nearby varible stars. Please explain.

Power Fixed or Variable [ 4 Answers ]

Hi There, Is Power a fixed cost for a Variable cost. I need to work out thr fixed cost or variable costs or both from the data below. Number of Drinks Produced per Crushing & Mixing machine per hour 740.00 Number of Crushing & Mixing Machines 3.00 Crushing and Mixing Machine Power costs...

Variable costing [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone please help me with the following question: What effect will applying variable costing have on the income statement and the balance sheet?

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search