Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wist coach Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 05:44 AM
    Restaurant being sued for damages
    Goodmorning guys. Received a letter over an issue that happened after hours at my pub. An individual was in my pub hanging out due to intoxication from another establishment. My employees who were off the clock let him stay while the bartender who was on the clock closed out for the night. The individual in question comes in a great deal. I gather from what took place, they were trying to sober him up. My cook who was not working decided to play bartender and try a flame drink, the flame drink burned the individual somehow, I guess by just stupidity by the cook and himself. Now the business is being sued for his damages. Both the employees are on leave until I get response too what happened and both agree they are to blame not the pub. We were closed at the time off the accident. Any help with this. Thanks
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Nov 17, 2008, 05:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wist coach View Post
    Goodmorning guys. Recieved a letter over an issue that happened after hours at my pub. An individual was in my pub hanging out due to intoxication from another establishment. My employees who were off the clock let him stay while the bartender who was on the clock closed out for the night. The individual in question comes in a great deal. I gather from what took place, they were trying to sober him up. My cook who was not working decided to play bartender and try a flame drink, the flame drink burned the individual somehow, I guess by just stupidity by the cook and himself. Now the business is being sued for his damages. Both the employees are on leave until I get response too what happened and both agree they are to blame not the pub. We were closed at the time off the accident. Any help with this. Thanks

You are ultimately responsible for injuries/damages caused by your employees - whether your establishment was open or closed. They are also individually liable but if there are damages they may not have the means to pay them. No matter what the individual who was injured says it would be foolish of him to move against only the employees and not the insured establishment.

Dram shop will also figure in because you say he was intoxicated, they tried to sober him up by serving him more alcohol - ?

Interestingly, I work on at LEAST 3 of these "flaming drink" injuries every year, mostly in the Summer. I've seen some really severe injuries and people whose clothing started on fire and additional burns were caused while trying to get the burning clothing off the individual.

What does your insurance carrier say? I would also get my Attorney on this right away because very often the State Alcohol/Beverage Board gets involved due to serving an intoxicated individual.

What happened in your defamation suit against the County?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 17, 2008, 05:53 AM

Settle the law suit, your employees ( even though off the clock) in your place of business, using your equipment and supplies)
    wist coach Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2008, 06:13 AM

As I'm told the individual had gotten into a fight with the owner of another bar down the street. My employees were giving him water to sober up/ Im not at this business that much, only getting info from letters and what took place. Checking on insurance to see what we have on this type of issue. Judy-nothin yet on inspector, kind of a lost cause case. Too much good ole boy thing here. I think I'm in the drama zone. Back to pub, parents keep the thing running, not sure on insurance though. I have seen picts of the individual after issue, he is still out at other bars that haven't barred him and he looks the same. Not sure of the burn or where it happened.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Served a summons/being sued for credit card debt/first time being sued [ 2 Answers ]

I have been served a summons by first class mail of a lawsuit against me by an asset collection agency on behalf of a credit card company. The asset company has purchased the debt,in an amount just over $1000. My question is how do I proceed as I have never been sued before. I currently am...

Have car insurance / NOT at fault / being personally sued for damages [ 13 Answers ]

I was recently in a car accident. I have full collision and comprehensive coverage through a national car insurance company. My insurance determined I was NOT at fault for the accident. One of the other cars involved in the accident was a rental car. The rental car agency (a local business, not a...

Auto Damages [ 2 Answers ]

My neighbor who is 18 years old backed into our car. He denies it and his parents believe him. Our car was parked legally in front of our house. The dent was obviously made from a perpendicular collision. There is paint scraped from the vehicle that hit our car still on our car. The color of...

Lawsuit Damages [ 4 Answers ]

I recently won a lawsuit for libel and was awarded both compensatory and punitive damages. I believe that the punitive damages are taxable and the compensatory are not. Is this correct?

View more questions Search