Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 8, 2008, 08:51 PM
    Spongy soil on the foundation
    Here's my newest issue:

A few weeks ago, I noticed that a portion of my foundation was being exposed due to erosion. The basic issue was that the rain runoff was running down the sides of the house and wearing off the dirt.

I went to speak to a local supplier about the issue and they suggested "contractors blend" - a cheap soil that they told me to mix with chunky limestone rock. I did this and later placed sod over the area.

It rained this morning.

Now... 12+ hours later, I'm finding that the soil in the "repaired" area is still spongy and wet. This "contractors blend" contains a great deal of clay. The worst part of this is that the area that's still wet is right up on my foundation.

What to do?

My initial thoughts are to dig it up, dig it out and lay sand. The sand would be followed up by some black dirt (not clay) and then some sod over that.

Right path?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 06:02 AM
    The right path is to correct the grading so that water runs away from the house and pipe the gutter down spouts.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 08:49 AM
    Harold hit the nail on the head. You need to grade the soil so its ptched away from the home and also install gutter to direct rain away too.
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 9, 2008, 09:01 AM
    Fixing the flow is going to be a challenge.

The house sits on something of a hill. The yard slopes from the higher back yard to the lower front yard. Every house on my side of the street is like this... the back yards drain between the houses and onto the street in front of the houses.

The low spot that I filled in was an attempt to fix the grading by changing the slope somewhat. My problem is the material used to build up that slope. There are actually spots lower in the yard with different soil composition (not the "contractors blend" that I used, but the original soil) that stay firm after heavy rains. It's just this little segment that I built up that's so saturated.

Any thoughts on composition of the material I should use to build this back up? I'm going to be digging it up this weekend and replacing it... and then re-covering it with sod.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 9, 2008, 09:04 AM
    You might benefit from digging a trench around the back and two sides of the home. Lay down some gravel and then a fabric covered 3" perfroated drain pipe. The high point of the pipe would be centered along you back wall, sloping towards the corners and then sloping more toward the fron yard. No pump required and it should gravity drain.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace or reuse tile from a spongy wall? Groute is not the best of shape. [ 2 Answers ]

I'm sure I'll have to replace some sheet rock. Would it be better to use tile or the end piece of fiber glass from a four piece shower and bath set. I would like to go all fiberglass but my wife likes the tile. I mean this the upstairs bath... who is going to see it? Also I am going to have to...

Fixing a 'spongy' floor joist [ 5 Answers ]

My floor joists are 2 x 10's spaced 16". The span is 14 feet. The joists, sill plates, beam, piers and block wall all appear to be in good condition. The crawlspace is bone dry and has been for the 4 years I have lived here. Here's my problem/question: I just got a new wall-sized entertainment...

Spongy floor joists causing sagging floor [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. In front of my fireplace there is a small tiled area. This is surrounded by hardwood which runs throughout the living room. The floor on the sides of the tile has dropped slightly below the level of the tile (about 1/8" or so). The wood floor around the tiles is also a bit spongy when...

Cake spongy but dry! [ 8 Answers ]

I made a cake the other day. It was a Betty Crocker super moist white cake. Liquid Ingredients: 1 1/4 cups water 1/3 cup oil 3 Eggs whites. I baked it for 28 minutes in a 13" x 9" pan.

View more questions Search