Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BUZZARDBOYLE Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2005, 10:12 PM
    Water Heater... is There A Blow Back Valve To Prevent The Tank From Going Dry And
    Damage will result if element comes on when tank is dry in a water heater. I live in a community where the water is constantly being shut off and the element burns out. Is there a type off blow back valve that can be installed to prevent the tank from going dry.
    Flickit Posts: 278, Reputation: 2

Apr 19, 2005, 03:17 AM
    Might consider...
    Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDBOYLE
    Damage will result if element comes on when tank is dry IN A WATER HEATER. i LIVE IN A COMMUNITY WHERE THE WATER IS CONSTANTLY BEING SHUT OFF AND THE ELEMENT BURNS OUT. IS THERE A TYPE OFF BLOW BACK VALVE THAT CAN BE INSTALLED TO PREVENT THE TANK FROM GOING DRY.
    ... looking into a low water pressure cutoff switch that can be used to shut off power to the hot water heater when the water pressure drops. These are commonly used with water pumps in homes with wells but might be adapted to your situation. They require a manual reset after tripping.

Apr 19, 2005, 06:56 AM
    ThANKS FOR THE LOW PREASURE... IDEA... maybe there is a water heater made with such I will look into it... I am now replacing the heater element... I,m paralyzed in the legs so this is a task... crawling around... but I believe you are on the right track... thanks so much for your help
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2005, 07:06 AM
    A simple check valve or back flow preventer should work. You must instal an expansion tank between the heater and valve. The low pressure switch should work too, and maybe be easier and cheaper to install.

Apr 19, 2005, 07:17 AM
    Water heater
    I have to contact the manufacture, there is a red,maybe a reset button on the electrical component of the waterheater. BUT, LISTEN to this, no hot water all last night, tank was full, went to drain and noticed the hose warm, how did it repair itself... very strange... the was full 5 or 6 hours no hot... I NOT CRAZY... BUT JUST TOOK A NICE WARM SHOWER... GO FIGURE
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2005, 09:34 AM
    Some electrical devices including better motors, have overloads. They are a switch mounting in the windings that opens when too hot, and closes when it cools off. Your water heater may have one too.

With your ongoing problems, you really need the low water cutoff or check valve.

Apr 19, 2005, 09:49 AM
    Water Heater
    It Is A Trailor... would You Know If They... ie The Low Water Or Check Valves Are Made In Plastic Pipe This Would Certainly Make The This Preventitive Trouble Shouting Much Easier
    Uber Member

Apr 19, 2005, 10:16 AM
    I am not sure if check valves are available in PVC or not. They must have an expansion tank too. They could be easily installed in PVC piping with a couple of male pipe adapters.

A low water cut off would be even easier. Cut the pipe and cement in a PVC tee. Add a threaded adapter to fit the low pressure cut off switch.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2005, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by BUZZARDBOYLE
    Damage will result if element comes on when tank is dry IN A WATER HEATER. i LIVE IN A COMMUNITY WHERE THE WATER IS CONSTANTLY BEING SHUT OFF AND THE ELEMENT BURNS OUT. IS THERE A TYPE OFF BLOW BACK VALVE THAT CAN BE INSTALLED TO PREVENT THE TANK FROM GOING DRY? ** LISTEN to this, no hot water all last night, tank was full, went to drain and noticed the hose warm, how did it repair itself..........very strange.......the was full 5 or 6 hours no hot..................I NOT CRAZY.............BUT JUST TOOK A NICE WARM SHOWER...........GO FIGURE.

Your heater siphons back into the main as the men open it up to work on it and the water drains out.
    This can be avoided one of two ways.
    (1) Install a backflow preventer at the meter--or--
    (2) Install a check valve on the cold water supply to the heater.
    Be advised that if you install either of these that you will also have to install a expansion tank on the cold water supply.

As for your heater turning on by itself, that can be explained by the overload function of the top thermostat. When the temperature gets too hot or there's a overload the top thermostat cuts the power off.
    This can be reset by one of two methods.
    (1) push the red reset button--or--
    (2) in your case it waits until things cool off and it resets itself

Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

30 Gallon Hot Water Heater Relief Valve ? [ 13 Answers ]

I just had the relief (release?) valve replaced on my Hot Water Heater because it was constantly leaking and dripping. The new one seems to work great because I don't see it dripping anymore. However, I kept a bucket under it to be cautious, and every day there is a little over a cup of clean water...

Can one shut off water main valve but leave gas hot water tank on? [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if I go away for two days and shut my main water shutoff valve can I leave my gas hot water tank on. I saw two answers To a similar question and one answer said you can leave it on and the other Said you had to shut it off. I am confused now as to whether I can leave the gas...

Ball missing in sewer drain to prevent back flow [ 1 Answers ]

Is there any way to replace the missing ball in my basement floor drain without completely removing the existing pipe and concrete floor? The drain has backed up a few times but nothing major; a partial clog has been removed. I would like to replace the ball before anything serious happens. ...

Water heater expansion tank [ 4 Answers ]

Read a post here concerning the water line back flow preventer/expansion tank and am familiar with its operation and purpose when using city water. My question is, is this setup recommended or even needed on a well water system? My feeling is that the holding tank would take up any expansion. ...

Water heater check valve [ 1 Answers ]

My wife and I just moved into a new house. The builder bankrupted on us and left us with several problems. Most are readily fixable, but one has me a bit puzzled. There are two water heaters, one at each end of the house, connected properly. They connect to the water lines in parallel so that the...

View more questions Search