Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    silly_a1804 Posts: 9, Reputation: 3

Aug 3, 2007, 11:28 PM
    What would you do if a family member or close friend was to tell you they were Wiccan
    I am thinking about coming out of the "broom closet" as they say. But I'm not sure how my friends and family will take it. My husbands family is very very catholic. And my mother is a jahovas witness. I know that they would both think that I am worshiping the devil when in fact wiccans don't even believe in the devil. So what would be your reaction if someone close to you told you they were wiccan?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 12:05 AM
    I would want to find out more about it first, both from books and from you. I would have more "trouble" with a Jehovah's Witness than I would a Wiccan, methinks.

How Wiccan are you? How long have you practiced it? How do you practice it?

Aug 4, 2007, 12:42 AM
    Well I have been studying the religion since I was in like 7th grade. I am now 21 and I still firmly believe in the principles the religion teaches. I have officially been wiccan to myself at least for a year or two. The main part of worshiping in the wiccan religion is by holding coven meetings. This is the part that most people think of worshipping the devil because its actual witch craft but its just how we as wiccans honar our god and goddess
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Well most likely the JW members will not have anything to do with you at all. And if the catholics are strong, they will believe your soul is doomed to hell and will feel very sorry for you.

If I had family members who were, they would not be allowed to bring any symbol or mention of their religion in my home.

Aug 4, 2007, 11:31 AM
    OK that makes no sense. If the chiristian faith is supposed to accept people for who they are then why shun them from your home. This is the EXACT reason I chose to convert.
    SpawnOfAzazel Posts: 106, Reputation: 18

Aug 4, 2007, 02:07 PM
    You can tell them but don't expect the best of reactions.
    No matter what religion people tell me they are, I just say that as long as they truly feel that what they believe in makes them want to be a better person, go for it, just don't impose your beliefs on other people.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
    This is the exact reason I was raised to keep my religion and my politics to myself. That was many moons ago, and I understand now in my wiser older years why these two are such sensitive subjects.
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 9, 2007, 01:42 PM
    If someone related to me told me they were wiccan I would just have to accept it. They have free will to make their own decisions, & I have no right to impinge on that.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:21 PM
    One of my closest friends has a daughter who announced she is Wiccan. She showed up all dressed in black and black nails and black lipstick and she looked hideous, to be honest. Now I know Wiccan's are not all about dressing goth, just some are. I told her she was still welcome in my home but none of her symbols and none of her chants and spells. If I were to go to her home, that would be different. That is her home, not mine.
    Just as I do not allow someone who smokes, to smoke in my home and I do not allow someone who drinks, to drink in my home and I do not allow someone who swears, to swear in my home.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 02:23 PM
    I had a close friend who was in fact Wiccan. It never bothered me in the least as I know its not incantations in the darkened forest while wearing darkened shrouds. It's a religion like any other where the utmost respect is paid to nature. I think it's a lovely religion however it is quite misunderstood.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 03:42 PM
    I don't discuss religion with people with little knowledge of monotheism and philosophy of religions... Mostly, though, what role religion plays in the lives of individuals, both good and bad.

Someone who becomes a wiccan is just going through a rebellious phase, for the most part.

So, I say, "Good Luck!"

Sep 10, 2007, 01:02 AM
    Thank you Glenda! I wish more people understood it. But sadly they are to closed minded to accept that it is in fact a faith like any other. And to shygrneyzs, I bet if you saw me in the store or in a park you would never know or even guess my religion. BUT what if I was wearing a piece of jewelry that had the pentacle on it? Would you make me take it off? Because I know that if I made you take off what ever symbol that represents your faith you'd be offended wouldn't you?

A rebellious phase? I don't think so. Phases don't last 7 years. What if I became became buddhist? Would that be rebelling?
    ashleysb Posts: 179, Reputation: 39

Sep 10, 2007, 05:32 AM
    Silly, if this is what you believe, then do it. If your family or your husband's family do not accept you for it, then so be it. After all, I think both of their religions practice not judging others, so let them prove that to you. My boyfriend's mother has practiced Wicca for many years, but just by looking at her you would never know. I don't know all the details of this religion, but as you can tell many people have misconceptions about it. When you tell your families about it, try to inform them as much as possible and make it clear that this is what you believe. It is sad how narrow minded some people can be, but I wish you the best of luck!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 10, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Do you really care how we would react? Do you really think that someone is going to answer that question and tell you, they would shun you for it?

What's important is how to deal with the small minded, bigots who will change their opinion of you because you have chosen a different path then they.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 06:24 AM
    I wouldn't care what religious belief you follow, as long as we mutually respected each other.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to evict a family member [ 7 Answers ]

Hello I need to know how to evict a family member (with children). This family member has pay some money to us during a year about 300.00 a month. After this person was told to move out this person stop helping with the 300. A month. There is no lease because this person was being help. I think...

Family member pay [ 3 Answers ]

Ok, new business up and running, I have some family members ( son) who goes in various stores where I have my products and they help keep them looking good on the shelf. This son lives at home. I plan on paying him, but I am wondering, as a minor child, how much can they earn before they...

Eviction of a family member from a single family home [ 2 Answers ]

My brother who is about 37 years old lives with my father, sister and myself; my brother is an alcoholic and a drug addict and is verbally abusive to my father who is 71 years old and is also disabled. My father wants him to move out of the house; is there a specific amount of time, by law, that...

Looking for a close family member for my wedding next year [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , I'm looking for my cousin. I know she's married now . I only have her maiden name. I'm unforsure on how to start for the search of her. I just know I must have her in my wedding? Does anybody have any good ideas...

Girlfriend best friend is a guy,one of my close friends [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with my friend. He has a girlfriend who is best friends with my girlfriend.And... My girlfriend helps my friend out all the time... but I'm worried that they will fall for each other and will start their own relationship. I told my friend how I felt about this but he says she's the...

View more questions Search