Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 18, 2009, 06:54 AM
    Smoky and the Bandit TransAm Worth?
    Hey guys,
    I just purchased a 1979 transAm with less then 46,000 miles on it. (see images) It's been garaged for years. I bought it for a investment and because I always admired the car.
    It has a 402 engine, A 4 speed Hurst Speed Shifter on the floor and even came with a CB radio. No dings or dents,original factory paint, and runs like you're driving a skyrocket. It's a collector car. How much do think it might fetch on E-Bay or Craigs List? Thanks for your time. Tom
    Attached Images

mazak Posts: 148, Reputation: 5

Apr 18, 2009, 11:29 AM

CarsOnline.com: Firebirds & Trans Ams Cars For Sale

Here's a start,scroll down to the 79 trans am.good luck.
    kitch428 Posts: 1,440, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Apr 18, 2009, 01:31 PM

Looks like you have a 8-10k car there in today's car market.
    It's a 403 "Olds" motor you have in there.
    Pontiac's last large displacement V8 motor was cast just a year prior to yours being built.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2009, 06:17 AM
    Thanks for the response guys. Another question. It will run between one and three hundred dollars for a full detail job. How much will it add to the selling price? Is detailing worth the expense? Thanks again for your time. Tom
    450donn Posts: 1,821, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 07:37 AM

Because of the very soft automotive market today, this car can do nothing but go up in price. If you can, keep it in pristine condition for a couple of years wait for the classic market to rebound , and then offer it for sale. Might check out some of the high end classic car auctions as to prices. Only detraction I see right off is the color. That will likely not be a high demand color and will reduce the overall cost some what. But if this is as original as it appears it will fetch top dollar if it is in top condition.
    And yes a professional detail job will return every penny of your investment.
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 08:41 AM

Agreed. Also, the more documentation you have on the car's history will add to the sale.
    If you don't have the build sheet, which is usually stuffed under one of the seat cushions, then I would send off to PHS (Pontiac Historical Society).
    For 50 dollars, you get the full documentation including window sticker, build sheet, etc.
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 19, 2009, 08:52 AM
    It's a one owner car. I know the cars history, It used to be my companions exhusbands car. He designed and supervised oil platforms and only drove it a little when he got back in the states. Outside of that it's been garaged. Do I still need documentation? Tom
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2009, 09:31 AM

Here's a link to help you out. 2 weeks is the wait time to get back by mail.
    Just minutes with a fax and cc#. It's really worth doing this and proves what you have is the real deal.
    PHS Historic Services
    Eternal Plumber

Apr 20, 2009, 05:49 PM
    Again, Thank you so much for your helpful answers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

Smoky Cellar [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fireplace on the first floor and whenever I have a fire, the cellar smokes up like crazy. It appears there is another flue that could be hooked up to a wood stove in the cellar but the hole is covered up. How do I fix this?

Self-worth - what do you do to take care of your self-worth? [ 21 Answers ]

I think we are all so great to take care of others, however how can we learn to take care of ourselves more? What things can one do to take care of their own self-worth, self-respect, etc.

Smoky smell [ 4 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and I've noticed that the upstairs often smells of cigarette smoke. I haven't actually seen anyone smoking outside, so I can't identify exactly where the smoke might be coming from. Is there a more effective way than filters for me to get rid of the smoke smell? Thanks.

Smoky mower [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, We just replaced the blade on our riding lawnmower, so it was tipped over for days while we found one to fit. When we tipped it back over, there was an oil leakage. Now, when we start it, thick smoke comes out. He says it's "flooded" but doesn't know what to do. Any help? Thanks, Jessica

View more questions Search