Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lynnardmarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2007, 04:44 PM
    Household Lighting fixtures go from dim and bright.
    My house was built in the 1930's and the wiring I'm sure is as old. The lights turned on tend to be on a dimmer they will be dim then go bright almost like an electrical serge sometimes flicker. Also I have a fan If set on med to high it will slow down then speed up.

What's causing this?
    Washington1 Posts: 798, Reputation: 36

Jul 11, 2007, 12:44 AM
    The lights turned on tend to be on a dimmer they will be dim then go bright
    You said lights (meaning more than one).
    You said it tends to be a dimmer (which means you are not operating the lights on a dimmer)<---if correct. Then based on what you said, I would get some one out there as soon as possible. Start by giving this information to your serving utility company. Tell them that your lights are getting dim, then very bright<--this could mean you have a loose neutral at the meter--which could cause a fire if the neutral was totally lost. There by sending 240 volts through 120v circuit loads!

While you wait, turn off all lights, and unplug all 120v general lighting loads. Then have some one check your service rated panel wire connections. You can do this, but I'm not going to recommend it.

Note: Your utility company should not charge you for this assumed emergency.
    Note: If you are not comfortable with electrical, get someone out there who is, and have them check your service feed conductors immediately!
    ******even though this may not be the problem, we "must" assume it may be!

-Have you added any large loads to your home recently? Example: Hot tub; Electric furnace; dryer etc..
    -Does it happen when a load is turned on, or opposite?
    ceilingfanrepair Posts: 5,733, Reputation: 109
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2007, 09:14 PM
    What type of fan is it and how are the speeds controlled?

Sounds like you have a bad neutral somewhere.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Household plumbing [ 2 Answers ]

After flushing toilet, hot water tap runs cold a few minutes before warming again... water heater new... notice the "out" (hot) copper pipe on water heater turns cool and the intake (cold) copper pipe warms after such

Head of Household [ 3 Answers ]

I have two clients who are partners. They each live in the same house, both on title, and both on the mortgage. Also, they have a rental property together. One of the partners has two children and wants to file head of household with two dependents. The HOH requirement is that the taxpayer...

Head of Household [ 1 Answers ]

Who can claim as "Head of Household".

Household cleaning [ 6 Answers ]

I'm looking for tips on cleaning certain parts of the house, firstly it would be the toilet now we live in an extreamly hard water area and keeping the loo clean is one hell of a task I use anti lime agents and you will often find me with my rubber gloves on scrubbing the heck outa the bowl. Same...

Head of the household status [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house in Jan 2006 as primary residence. My brother also lives there, but he doesn't pay any rent or expenses (not even for food). I was wondering if I could claim 'head of the household' status based on him? I claimed it last year when we lived in apartment, but he didn't work for the...

View more questions Search