Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JEBrach Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2006, 01:39 PM
    Capital Gains Tax
    In Sept 1999 I sold a piece of property. I did a 1031 exchange for a new piece of property that cost 299000.00. My basis in that exchange was 29000.00.

In April 2006 I sold that piece of property. After closing costs and realtor costs the net profit was $512,000.00.

Improvement costs, repair costs and other additons to the property were not capitalized. But deducted each year as the cost of doing business. (It was a 8 plex rental property)

Our total depreciation was 22,000.00.

What will be the capital gains tax that is due on this sale? I live in Colorado.

When is the capital gains tax due?

Thank you.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

May 29, 2006, 06:33 AM
    I am curious as to how you depreciated $22K of $29K in basis over seven years. However, I digress!

It looks like your capital gains is about $505K (Net profit of $512K MINUS $29K basis PLUS $22K depreciation).

Capital gains rate is about 15%, so you must make an estinated tax payment of roughly $75,750 by June 15th, 2006 to the IRS.

If the property is located in Colorado, it looks like here is NO state tax on the capital gain. If not, you need to send about $25,000 to the state of Colorado by June 15th, 2006.
    acmepinnacle Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2006, 11:00 PM
    Good point on the depreciation - the taxpayer should make sure that depreciation was actually taken, and not scheduled to be taken over a period of many years.

Don't forget the $22k depreciation will be recaptured, which might push its tax rate above 15% (25% max, I think).

And don't forget state tax, for BOTH the state the property is located in and the state of residence of the taxpayer. We don't know they are the same state.

Also, estimated tax payments may not be necessary if the taxpayer falls within the safe harbor provisions or his current withholding and/or estimated tax payements.
    iselaewing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 20, 2010, 03:22 PM
    I have lot from my family, how much I need to pay if I decide sale this lot
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Oct 25, 2010, 03:20 PM
    Need a LOT more information. Such as proceeds from the sale, what you paid for the lot, if inherited, what the original purchase price of the lot was, etc.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Capital gains tax from buy-out [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I would like to know how to calculate the capital gains taxes I will owe. I was recently bought out from a commercial property I was part owner of (50%). My father purchased the land in 1989 for $361,000 and in 1994 he quit claimed it to me and my two sisters, so I owned 1/3 of the property....

Capital gains and losses [ 3 Answers ]

I have had a loss on the sale of stock. I understand I can only claim 3000 per year. Does this mean I can deduct the entire 3000.00 or is it a percentage of the 3000.00? By the way this is a long term loss.

Inheritance and capital gains tax [ 3 Answers ]

My mother has suddenly changed her mind and decided to leave the house to the granddaughter. She bought her house in California for $8,900 in 1950. It has been paid off for 25 years. Value is now at $550,000 My question is can my neice just move in and keep the house without selling? Are there...

Capital Gains [ 3 Answers ]

I'm in the process of selling my house and land which currently is in three different tax bills. I went through a divorce last year and one of my questions can I use the appraisal price that was used for me to own the house and land? Two pieces were combined as it was questionable if the sewer was...

View more questions Search