Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jbfrank Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2005, 12:13 PM
    Downstairs Leak from Upstairs Shower
    Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on.

I guess I need to know where to start. The shower upstairs is a fiberglass insert, stand-up only shower (we have a separate bath). The floor of the shower has always creeked. It's almost like there's no support beneath it. It give a little, but not much. For all I know this could be normal.

I'm trying to avoid paying a few hundred dollars on a plumber by doing this myself.

Can anyone let me know what steps I need to be taking to start this? I'd like to start tonight.

Thanks in advance for any help.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 11, 2005, 12:31 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jbfrank
    Our upstairs shower is apparently leaking into our dining room directly below it. It looks like the previous homeowner attempted to fix the problem as there is a hole in the dining room celing that was filled with plaster. I'm sure it's the shower, because it only leaks when the shower is on.

I guess I need to know where to start. The shower upstairs is a fiberglass insert, stand-up only shower (we have a separate bath). The floor of the shower has always creeked. It's almost like there's no support beneath it. It give a little, but not much. For all I know this could be normal.

I'm trying to avoid paying a few hundred dollars on a plumber by doing this myself.

Can anyone let me know what steps I need to be taking to start this? I'd like to start tonight.

Thanks in advance for any help.

First of all you're going to hafta open up the ceiling and find out exactly what's leaking. The drain? Trap? Or bad tile grout where the stream hits. You have to see where the leak originates from. You may have to brace up the shower floor with plywood or 2 X 4 headers between the joists. Until you do that you're flying blind. Let me know what you find. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leak in bathroom ceiling from upstairs shower [ 3 Answers ]

We have a slight leaking problem in the downstairs bathroom ceiling last year and the homeshield contractor came to check it. We were told it was not a plumbing problem and the water coming from the shower upstairs. We did the caulking as suggested and the problem seemed to go away. Recently we...

Upstairs too hot, downstairs too cold [ 2 Answers ]

I live in a 2-story house built in 1949 that has a forced air heating and air conditioning system. Of the 4 rooms upstairs, the 2 largest ones do not get cool enough. At the same time, the first floor is plenty cool and the basement is frigid. What is the most cost-effective and simple way to...

No water to upstairs shower [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. I hope someone can help! Yesterday I had only hot water running in my upstairs shower and assumed it was a valve problem.. . But this morning I have no water, not even a drip, and when I run the water in the sink in the next room it comes up the drain of the shower and does not drain back...

Leak in ceiling from upstairs shower [ 2 Answers ]

The ceiling in my downstairs bathroom leaks when the upstairs shower is used. The leak starts about five minutes after the shower has been turned on and continues after the shower is turned off. The leak is coming from two or three small holes in the wood directly beneath the upstairs shower. ...

Leak from upstairs shower drain [ 5 Answers ]

My house is about 2 years old and the original owner had an extra upstairs bathroom installled by a plumber rather than the builder. The shower is used infrequently and I noticed a leak on the first floor ceiling today. Should I expect the plumber to honor the work after a 1 1/2 years and prior...

View more questions Search