Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    0519babs Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2009, 08:01 AM
    My bank took my Social Security check
    In Georgia, can my bank withdraw funds from my checking account (they actually took every penny) without my permission that were deposited with my social security check? This was taken for a debt having nothing to do with my checking account (NSF, etc.).

Babs
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 09:57 AM

Well, if they aren't account related, they didn't actually take the money but facilitated the taking of it by court order.

While SS is technically not liable to be garnished and therefor not part of a judgment, once it hits the checking account, it becomes intermingled funds and can be subject to garnishment/levy. You need to open an account specific to your SS income.

In addition, you can go back to court and request that the SS funds be returned to your account, but honestly, you may not get that done.

I assume you had a judgment filed against you?

Sep 28, 2009, 10:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by stevetcg View Post
    Well, if they arent account related, they didnt actually take the money but facilitated the taking of it by court order.

While SS is technically not liable to be garnished and therefor not part of a judgment, once it hits the checking account, it becomes intermingled funds and can be subject to garnishment/levy. You need to open an account specific to your SS income.

In addition, you can go back to court and request that the SS funds be returned to your account, but honestly, you may not get that done.

I assume you had a judgment filed against you?
    Well, being a good dad is first and foremost...

I do believe you are correct in your answer and yes, there was a judgement three years ago. However, don't they have to freeze or garnish my checking account before they can withdraw my funds?
    stevetcg Posts: 3,693, Reputation: 353
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2009, 11:02 AM

Garnishment and withdraw are essentially the same thing. And no... they do not have to disclose collections once the judgment is issued.

Sep 28, 2009, 11:06 AM

Thank you
    jobalso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2010, 11:59 AM
    Citizens bank in New York took my entire January ssi, and there was no judgement. The previous month they took 1,293.00, as overdrafts, after I had deposited 300.00, which they failed to recognize in their ststem. When I confronted them, they did return it 10 days later, and when I went to check, found that they had taken another 173.00 as overdrafts, which they did return that same morning.
    I received no explanation, and no apology, either.
    Shouldn't the bank have to pay me for the overdrafts in like kind?
    I feel they owe me like amounts of the overdrafts, PLUS payment for lost productivity, as well as pain and suffering.
    DownUnder Posts: 492, Reputation: 24

Feb 28, 2010, 12:14 PM

Did you have a lot of bounced checks that caused the overdraft fees? Please explain a little more
    Of what you are asking? If you bounced checks then the bank has the right to charge a fee. I don't understand what you are saying.
    ddwtx1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2010, 10:24 AM

My take on your question was that the bank had not recognized the deposit of $300 and therefore caused your account to be overdrawn?

If you have your deposit slip or show the direct deposit via email or some other form, the bank can actually be requested (by you in writing) to refund the overdraft fees, but also send a notice to any vendors who received an NSF or bounced check.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

IRS can they garnish my social security check [ 6 Answers ]

IRS can they garnish my socila security check

My ife is receiving a disability check, and I think a Social Security check [ 2 Answers ]

My wife is receiving a disability check, and a Social Security check, can I claim part of it?If he is out of the country and I have proven parternity will he be arrested so I can claim everything?

Social Security Disability check confiscated at the bank [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Nevada and collect Social Security Disability. I received a Grant check in the mail for $500.00. I took the check to my bank and asked them if they could tell me if it was good. They made a phone call and came back and told me it was good. I then cashed the check and received the...

Social security check garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

About 5 years ago my brother took out a student loan and my father co signed. My brother past away about 3 years ago. My father is semi retired. He works 30 hrs a week. They are garnishing 25% of his salary. My father just found out he has cancer and has to quit working. His only income will...

Retirement and social security check taxes [ 4 Answers ]

I did no get an answer to my previous question. Repeat How much federal income tax will someone have to pay on retirement check of $45,000 per year?

View more questions Search