Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    grgheim Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2008, 07:12 PM
    Basement Drain for shower/vanity/toilet
    I am planning on finishing my basement for my daughter to occupy. I would like to install a small bathroom with shower. The fact that there is no existing floor drains makes me consider some type of pump system?
    schwim Posts: 132, Reputation: 22

Jan 21, 2008, 08:02 AM
    Hi there,

If your septic/sewer line is higher than the basement floor, then you have no option but to pump it out.

Home improvement stores sell waste sump systems that will solve your problem, but it's a bit of work. You must first buy a tank and pump that will handle solids.

Once you've done that, you've got to break open the basement floor, dig until you can drop the tank in where the top is level with the basement floor, lower, if you don't plan on raising the bathroom onto a false floor.

If you raise the bathroom onto floor joists, you can simply run your drain plumbing to your new tank system. If you don't want your bathroom raised, then you will need to break the concrete wherever these two drains will be.

Most people understandably opt for the raised bathroom :)

Finally, you tie the pumps outlet into your main drain sweep.

Thanks,
    Json
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 12:51 PM
    We can move this to plumbing so some plumbers can give you additional options. Where does your current drain line leave the building, through a wall or into the floor?
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jan 21, 2008, 04:04 PM
    One other option is to use a macerator type of pump system... SANIFLO is the name of one brand and can install a toilet and sink on the basement floor (would need to build up floor for a tub or shower to be installed) and involves no chopping of concrete floor whatsoever. This system is different than traditional pumps in that they pump more frequently then the sump type effluent pumps and make a high pitched noise when pumping... NOTE that I have heard of very few problems associated with this system.. Also, NOTE that this kind of started as kind of for cottage type bathrooms but has recently gained some popularity for basement bathrooms as well.

Besides all mentioned, my favorite is the effluent pump system schwim has recommended... just wanted to post another available option for you to consider. ALso, note that ballengerb1 asked a question before I got involved.. please answer that for him.

If my answer was helpful please RATE THIS ANSWER by clicking on button below. Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can't find toilet drain in basement [ 5 Answers ]

Builder has exposed drain pipe for shower and wash-out drain against wall for vanity, yet no exposed toilet ring in cement floor. It is all stubbed down for water and air vents, but nothing visible for the toilet. We have drilled holes in the cement where we think the toilet will go with no luck....

Connecting shower drain to toilet drain [ 1 Answers ]

I am just beginning to do some renos to my basement. I am installing a shower in a bathroom that currently only has just a sink and a toilet. I am trashing the toilet and sink and putting in new ones. This is a concrete basement. How do I connect the shower drain to the toilet drain? Is there...

Installing Basement Shower Drain with Washing Machine Drain [ 5 Answers ]

Hi folks: I would like to install a shower that drains into the same drain as my washing machine. Right now the washing machine drain, 1-1/2" ABS, comes in horizontally about 12" above the concrete floor into a 1-1/2" Tee on a vertical pipe. From this Tee, the vent goes straight up to the...

Toilet/Washer/Drain in basement [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I have had continually problems with my toilet (house bult 1960 - could be original toilet - not sure). I have had Roto Rooter out 2 times in 7 years, both times due to clogged sewer line - sewer backed up into basement. My problem is that when I run my washer, my toilet does not flush...

View more questions Search