Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lhelpme12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2007, 11:27 AM
    Debt & Being Sued
    :confused: I have a problem.

In 2001 I had an onset with RA (Rhuematoid Arthritis).
    I do have all types of paperwork about my illness. Will it help?
    I could not work and by 2003. I was better and starting working full-time again. I was later sued and got a judgement against me in FL. For $600. I have paid down 2 creidt card bills to the point they don't call. However, I still owe $3,000 on one and $1,200 on the other. I spent all my $15,000 I had in my 401K when I lost my job in 2002 to survive as a single parent. I have been scraping bottom and have fallen behind now on my home association fees. I owe them $1,500. I can't get a loan because my credit score is too low. It is about 540. I do have a good rate because I streamline refinanced and it is worth now about $170,but I brought at $119 (5 years old.)

I got a letter from the last credit card I had which is now going to sue for their 6,000. What do I do? I have one 401K left with 9,000. If I take that out won't they tax me and it will be much less and not enough to pay everybody?

Lhelpme12
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 19, 2007, 12:39 PM
    At 540 you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a home equity line of credit, Since you have about $50K in equity, you should be able to get a $25K line that should help you pay your debts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued over credit card debt [ 12 Answers ]

I was recently served over some old credit card debt (about 10K). I am looking for advice on how to best handle this... we are back on our feet again but it kills me to pay for all the excessive penalties and fees. I've also heard that even if I strike a deal with the company, it can come back...

Being Sued for a Debt I owe [ 6 Answers ]

I have been sued by an attorney hired by who I thought was a friend to gain $3650.00 that I do owe him. We had an arrangement I thought but that isn't the case now. The attorney sent me some papers to sign with a payment arrangement but I am reluctant to sign these papers for fear that I won't be...

Getting sued for a 10 year old debt [ 5 Answers ]

I received a letter from a lawyer saying I had a 10 year old mastercard with $5000 outstanding. I called the credit card company and they know nothing about it. I vagley remember something about it but thought it was all taken care of. The law firm is very aggressive and have a million horrible ...

Being sued by the bank for an outstanding debt [ 2 Answers ]

The aforesaid total $83,133.61, exclusive of interest. Unless same, together with interest is paid within ten (10) days of the date of this letter, legal proceedings will be instituted against you without further notice. Can someone tell me what is meant by "legal proceedings will be instituted...

Being sued over old debt [ 2 Answers ]

I just received a lawsuite against me from a credit card company, from debt incurred a few years ago. I'd like to know if: I should go through paying an attorney and the whole process, or, should I wait and see what happens? Would it be wise for me to send a lump sum to the attorney and see if...

View more questions Search