Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nindzha Posts: 86, Reputation: 5

Mar 7, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Good vs Bad
    Here is a good one.
    How do u difrence between good and bad.
    If a bad action can bring something good what kind of action is it?
    I have heard a lot of sentences like, why God permits bad things to happen, well maybe they are not bad as we think they are. Maybe it is possible that there is no good and bad, it is only..
    What do u think?
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 04:22 PM
    There is only right and wrong choices. If it works out great! If not rethink some of your choices. It is possible to direct your thoughts, using positive thinking, in order to get the best possible result.

Mar 9, 2007, 09:23 AM
    I like your way of thinking :) good point
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 09:25 AM
    Which wrong choice did a baby make if it dies?
    Barrabas Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Mar 19, 2007, 07:49 PM
    Are you referring to good and bad as a result of one's action or good and bad as something intrinsic in human actions?
    phillysteakandcheese Posts: 973, Reputation: 356

Mar 20, 2007, 09:06 AM
    "Good" and "Bad" are the dichotomies on a scale.

While some things hit the extreme and can be deemed "absolutely good" or "absolutely bad", most are in the gray area in between and vary greatly between people because of our perceptions of them.
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Mar 20, 2007, 09:13 AM
    It depends if a good thing come of a bad action it is still a bad action but a good outcome

Really it depends on the perspective of the person weather it was good or bad I don't think you can Diferenciate between good and bad in a descusion as people will have different views and lookes at the outcome but you can make personal decisions.

But all in all no matter how you look at it you need both.
    Fairjer Posts: 12, Reputation: 4

Mar 20, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Nindzha,

The question regarding what is bad or good depends on your moral compass and the basis of one's own personal philosophy. Many questions can be right or wrong but not all things are subjective. If a person likes the taste of italian food to that of greek is that wrong, of course not. Some things are not morally based beliefs. Everyone has a moral compass as to which to determine what is good or bad. The question you ask is very deep and not something that is resolved quickly. It takes time in determining one's philosophy.

As an example the moral relativist would say that everyone is right and no one is wrong because there is no absolute truth, so do whatever you want as long as you do not cause harm to anyone else. So if that is the case is killing wrong if there is no objective truth, is stealing wrong as the same way? If there is no objective truth then how does a moral relativist determine what constitutes "harming" someone else. If you decide in your own life that it is OK to kill another human being in certain circumstances then it is OK to do so. Well is it OK for one person to say that killing is wrong and the other say it is OK to kill in certain circumstances? That would lead to chaos, because everyone would walk around determining for themselves, in what circumstances is it right to kill another human being and those circumstances would be different for everyone and can everyone be right and no one be wrong??

Which brings us to the point, God as creator of everything that exists as we know it, created us as human beings, because we do not have the knowledge to create ourselves, and I am not talking about the physical human body. I am referring to the human person, the mind, soul which exists within the body. So if we can not create the human person, something bigger than ourselves had to in some way create us, as beings. Therefore, as God created us in His image and likeness, meaning giving us the ability to choose between good and bad. So if using God as a moral compass in basing one's personal philosophy, one can say, as the laws given to us by God, there is an objective truth, known as God and in following the laws of God we must discern through history and what is written as to what is right and wrong and always strive to do good and avoid bad. As far as God allowing bad things to happen, people have the freewill to choose good or bad and we as people have that choice to make in our actions and thoughts. God does not want bad things to happen, but we have the freewill to choose what we do and say, good or bad, such as killing and stealing.

Things happen in this world that we cannot control, are they bad things or good things? Is an earthquake good or bad? It cannot be bad or evil, it just simply is, just as a sunset or sunrise is. They exist as a part of the created world or universe. Why they happen there are scientific reasons but if it is created outside of our control then it is somehow a part of this creation and we have no way on knowing the philosophical reasons. We can explain how an earthquake happens but the question of why may never be answered because we cannot understand the existence of God and the created world around us, just to know that something exists outside of our existence that created all that we know and things like, earthquakes and sunsets will happen as they exist in the natural laws of our existence here on this earth.

I hope this helps, by no means does it answer you question but it may open up other doors and questions.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Mar 22, 2007, 03:12 PM
    Someone said this. I'd check but I'm too lazy. " There is nothing good or bad but thinking makes it so."
    Uber Member

Mar 22, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Hamworld,

Good quote, it's from "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare.
    hamworld05 Posts: 370, Reputation: 12

Mar 22, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma
    Hamworld,

Good quote, it's from "Hamlet" by William Shakespeare.
    Oh, yeah! I remember. Thanks.

Mar 22, 2007, 03:51 PM
    Willie was one hell of a man. :)
    keenu Posts: 114, Reputation: 9

Mar 27, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nindzha
    Here is a good one.
    How do u difrence betwen good and bad.
    I have heard a lot of sentences like, why God permits bad things to happen, well maybe they are not bad as we think they are. Maybe it is possible that there is no good and bad, it is only...?
    What do u think?
    Actions are neither good nor bad, they are simply actions. It is man who judges whether they are "good" or "bad" based on his current world view.

Mar 30, 2007, 10:15 AM
    I think this was partially answered in my last post to your first question. God does not permit bad things to happen. We as created in His image and likeness, have the freewill to choose good and bad. It is our action that we take not God. God permits us to act either good or bad, if He did not give us the freewill then we would be robots walking about not having a choice or having the mind and brain to think but just act. Things happen outside of our control such as earthquakes that cannot be bad or good they simply happen.

When you post your question especially when it comes to philosophy you have to explain yourself with some examples and further explanation. If you do not you leave it open to any and all philosophical views. Example you mentioned good and bad are you referring to good and bad within the realm of the existence of God or not. A person can expound on this in either direction and it would take eight hours to explain either view.

A moral relativist will say that it depends on one's own philosophy, because they do not believe in "Objective truth," and everything is relative to that what that person deems good and bad.

A person who believes in "Objective truth," will state what is good and bad based on those laws written upon their heart by The Creator.

Using an example, Nazi Germany in the 1930's and 40's. Can you say that what hitler was doing was a good thing or bad thing? He wanted to create a perfect german state. He was doing such a great job for the economy and the country of Germany that Time Magazine named him Man of the Year. Now the idea of a perfect state is good, however you cannot do something bad as murder to bring about a perfect state. If the taking of innocent life is wrong/evil/bad then there is no ends to justify the means. You cannot do something bad to bring about something good. A father who takes a loaf of bread after asking his neighbor and being denied, to feed his starving family, commits a crime, the act of taking the bread is wrong/bad etc. regardless of the reason.

Something is either bad or good it cannot be both or can it be a little bad or a little good. There is no such thing as a "Little white lie," A lie is a lie and it is wrong regardless of what the intentions behind it are. It is wrong to say I am going to lie to save someone's feelings because I do not want to hurt them. So lying to them and allowing them to think one thing when you know the truth. That is simply absurd and there is a mental disconnection to think and act, accordingly.

When you begin to talk about good or bad you are talking about morality and in doing so you have to first determine which area a person is coming from, objective truth or moral relativist. Then you can begin to dive deeper into the good vs bad issue.

P.S. Try to provide more information, examples and background to you questions and/or assertions, to be able to better respond.:confused:
    almaw Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 30, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nindzha
    Here is a good one.
    How do u difrence betwen good and bad.
    I have heard a lot of sentences like, why God permits bad things to happen, well maybe they are not bad as we think they are. Maybe it is possible that there is no good and bad, it is only...?
    What do u think?
    It is with the assumption gained by norms of the society
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 10:54 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fairjer
    God does not permit bad things to happen.
    How do you explain the Indian Ocean tsunami that killed 300,000 people?

Mar 30, 2007, 11:41 AM

Explain it what terms, how?

It is an earthquake that occurs on the floor of the ocean and generates waves throughout the water.

Is that something good or bad? Please explain.

From a theological and epistemological view, that is absurd.>

I am from Ft. Lauderdale Florida and I lived less than a mile from the beach when hurricane Andrew hit Florida and destroyed south Florida. Now did I choose to live that close to the beach and take the responsibility that comes with living that close to the beach. I did not live there thinking that it was or was not going to happen it was a chance that I took. The same can be said about those people that near the Indian Ocean. I understand that some of them perhaps did not by their own choice live there, but the vast majority chose to live there regardless of what could happen. Because we live in a created existence by, from and through God things happen beyond our control and we choose to live in certain area's and by certain conditions.

Are tornadoes evil, because every spring and summer the midwest part of the U.S. gets hit by them. There are people still living there. Does God permit tornadoes to hit this area and kill people directly? These are natural disasters a part of our human existence and we have to live with them as a part of our existence, that is beyond our control.
    Uber Member

Mar 30, 2007, 11:48 AM
    So when it's a good thing that happens (someone survives cancer) then it's God that healed the person but when a bad thing happens (300,000 innocent people die in a massive wave) then God has absolutely nothing to do with it. Is this correct?

Mar 30, 2007, 11:59 AM
    Just a theory.
    If we presume that God allowed this to happen. Than his action would be a bad one from our point of view. If he is the "caretaker" as many believe than his actions are not really good. So from this point I think that God doenst interfier in our lives. The only point in doing that is that we see only this life and we value it too much. If our soul is immortal than "we have nothing to loose". Maybe the nature was designed this way as a tool on the computer to keep a balance on the hardware - earth so it is not overloaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairjer
    A father who takes a loaf of bread after asking his neighbor and being denied, to feed his starving family, commits a crime, the act of taking the bread is wrong/bad etc., regardless of the reason.
    A story...
    There was a miner who worked in a mine that collapsed. He broked his spine and couldn't walk any more. When a priest came to see him, the miner said: Where was your God when the mine collapesed, go to hell with your preaching.
    A few years later the miner devoted himself to God.
    When he met with the priest again he said: I thank the day when I have broken my spine.
    What are you talking about said the priest. The miner answered if this wouldn't happen I would be still walking on the wrong path and would never have met the God in me.

What do you think of this.

PS: I am not a christian. I believe in my "own" God.

Mar 30, 2007, 12:01 PM
    So when it's a good thing that happens (someone survives cancer) then it's God that healed the person but when a bad thing happens (300,000 innocent people die in a massive wave) then God has absolutely nothing to do with it. Is this correct?

I am saying that everything comes from and through God, we cannot control such things as earthquakes and hurricanes. Is cancer bad? How can it be bad?

If what you are saying is that anything that takes human life is bad?

Because human life is intrinsically good and if it is taken by such conditions it is bad or is it that we who are left to pick up the pieces of what is left feeling alone or sorrowful because something that we value is taken from us and thus we associate it as bad because it makes us feel such? From a purely human standpoint I will agree because that is what human nature is, we mourn when we loose something that brings us joy.

But the earthquake or hurricane itself is not bad or good, it is the loss of life that is bad or sorrowful.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Good or bad [ 1 Answers ]

Stock price maximization good or bad for sociaty

Is this a bad sign? Am I not good enough? [ 3 Answers ]

OK, this probably isn't good but I don't know... sometimes I go on my boyfriends account on myspace, and he doesn't know it, and I went through his inbox and I found out that he sent another girl a message saying she was cute, and how if she wanted to talk he have her his screen name. I don't know...

Good or bad diet? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the best most effective diet to go on I have tried low carb gained it back AND SOME then weight watches time consuming and didn't have the money so what else is out there?? I thought about trying the order the food and it comes to your house deal but I am so busy working and taking care of...

Bad or good ! [ 20 Answers ]

Dear exerts , How can you tell whether your spirituality is in the right direction or wrong?? Regards Navid

Good or bad? [ 19 Answers ]

So there is this guy at work who I get on with really well. We are always telling each other jokes and having a laugh. However, he has recently startd being overly nice. Everyday I come into work, he will shout hello and then follow with "you look very nice today" - it's really nice and made...

View more questions Search