Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Felix Hebert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 2, 2006, 07:12 AM
    Credit Card Debt
    I was checking my balance in my bank account & found out my bank account has a hold on it for credit card debt. I was not notified. What are my rights-Thanks
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 2, 2006, 07:25 AM
    Hello Felix:

You were sued. You lost. You had rights then - lots of 'em. But, when you didn't show up in court, whatever rights you had, went down the terlet. With a judgment in hand, your creditor is going to pursue you, and you can't stop him. If you have a job, he's going to garnish your wages, and you can't stop that either. If you have assets, he's going to put a lien on them, and you can't stop that.

If your debt totals more than you can handle, the only right you have left is to declare bankruptcy.

excon
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 2, 2006, 08:11 AM
    Yes, you had past due debts, you did not work out payment plans with the people you owed money.

They filed a law suit against you and got a judgement, some states allow the debtor to merely post this in the legal section of a local newspaper but in general by not paying, you gave them the ability to sue you.

Once they have a judgement, they may attach your bank accounts, and can also get a garnishment on your paycheck.

Also if you have checks written on that account, they will bounce and y ou will end up with a lot of bank charges
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Dec 15, 2006, 09:50 AM
    Hello again Felix:

Yeah, warm and fuzzy, I ain't. You wan't warm and fuzzy?? Go see Dr. Phil.

excon
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Dec 15, 2006, 10:08 AM
    Get a copy of the granishment from the bank, go to the court file Motion to Quash the garnishment, for lack of proper service, lack of subject matter jurisdiction, lack of personal jurisdiction.

By doiing this it will give you some time to see excatly what happen so you can defend yourself in court.

You do have rights, so use them. Make them proof their claim.
    Felix Hebert Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 15, 2006, 10:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again Felix:

Yeah, warm and fuzzy, I ain't. You wan't warm and fuzzy??? Go see Dr. Phil.

excon
    Not looking for warm & fuzzy. Not looking for you either. Driving away business is the only thing you seem to be good at!! It must be horrible carrying around such a bad attitude.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit Card Debt.. Not sure what to do [ 14 Answers ]

I recevied a summons at my place of employment to apprear in court. The two credit cards I owe money to I guess are trying to collect. The plaintiff is Unifund CCR Partners, I am of course the defendant.I have tried about 10 lawyers in the last 2 weeks to contact me with the free advise I need but...

Credit Card Debt - How to Get out of IT? [ 12 Answers ]

I have a large credit card debt of $26000+ on a single card, and a few debts of $900-$1450 on three other cards. I am on a student fellowship, so I don't get very much money each month, but I really need to get out from under this debt - this month the interest rate seems to have drastically...

Credit Card debt [ 3 Answers ]

Is it legal for a credit card company (Sears) to garnish your wages? And have access to your bank account? i.e to know when and how much money you deposite in your checking account.

Credit Card Debt [ 2 Answers ]

Hi---I have six credit card balances going and recently became unemployed. The biggest amount I have is 3,300.00, with other smaller balances on the other five. The biggest one has a credit limit of 9,400.00. I was wondering if it would be good to transfer all of the smaller ones (balances) to...

View more questions Search