Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Highwire Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 03:29 PM
    Etg/ets testing & washing hands in gas containing ethanol
    Over a period of several days I have been working on cars and washing parts (and my hands) in gas containing ethanol. Today I spent most of the day with my hands emersed in gas. Tonight at IOP I was giving an ETG test. I told my counselor about my concerns and she indicated that the only way I would test positive was if I was drinking and that via the test that they could differenciate between these two types of exposure. What levels of EtG could be reached via this type of exposure and, how could the testing tell the difference
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 26, 2010, 03:32 PM

So did you pass or fail the test ?
    Highwire Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Dec 26, 2010, 03:43 PM
    I do not know yet.
    DrBill100 Posts: 3,241, Reputation: 502
    Ultra Member

Dec 26, 2010, 04:09 PM

I'm assuming this was a urine test?

Your counselor is badly mistaken. Any exposure to ethanol, including dermal exposure, can lead to a positive EtG. While you were washing parts you were furthermore inhaling fumes that contained ethanol, another route proven to create EtG.

It is now well established that EtG is not proof of alcohol consumption and can result from incidental exposure to thousands of environmental sources.

It really isn't possible to determine the level of EtG that could be present, too many variables involved. Hand Gel (ethanol based), has been shown to register as high as 770 ng/ml. Well above the cutoff of most tests. Of course hand gel is usually above 60% ethanol while the gasoline would be around 10-15%.

Following is a website managed by Dr. Greg Skipper. He introduced EtG testing in the US and does a decent job of posting information about the use and limitations of the test. As you will note, it isn't possible to determine the source of EtG:

Ethyl Glucuronide

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Urine alcohol test results were ETG 86600ng/mL ETS 39500ng/mL. What does that mean? [ 7 Answers ]

What does that mean as far as how much alcohol was consumed? And within how long of the test?

Washing parts ( and hands in gas containing ethanol) [ 0 Answers ]

Over a period of several days I have been working on cars and washing parts (and my hands) in gas containing ethanol. Today I spent most of the day with my hands emersed in gas. Tonight at IOP I was giving an ETG test. I told my counselor about my concerns and she indicated that the only way I...

Alcohol testing EtG testing [ 4 Answers ]

I had a etg/alcohol test 10 days ago and had wine the evening prior? I have not heard back from the lab. Has anyone failed or passed with having alcohol in their system? Thank you. Really stressed and very stupid!!

View more questions Search