Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    klpasker Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 31, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Claiming a grandchild that lives with you or does father that lives elsewhere?
    My 18 year old daughter lives with me full time, is full time high school student, has had a baby 12/5/07 and the baby also lives with me. I do claim my daughter as a dependent. The baby is covered by his fathers insurance. Who claims the baby as a dependent on their taxes, the father or myself?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 1, 2008, 04:38 AM
    These are the two main requirements for claiming a dependent under Qualifying Child:
    1. The child must have lived with you for more than half of the year.
    2. The child must not have provided more than half of his or her own support for the year.
    So it does not matter you provided the support for the child. Only you can claim your daughter and her baby.

It is better that you discuss your position with the father of the baby. If both of you claim the baby, you will get letters from IRS. One of you will have to amend the tax return and pay interest and penalty of the amount owed.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 2, 2008, 09:14 AM
    MukatA is correct. You can claim the baby as your dependent UNLESS your daughter made over $3,400 in 2007, in which case it might make sense for HER to claim the child (because of the Earned Income Credit).

The same logic applies for the FATHER claiming the child, though that would be illegal because the child is living with you, not him. Best to dcuss this with him before anyone files.
    Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 02:29 AM
    If the father claims the exemption, he needs to attach the custodial parent's written declaration (Form 8332) that she will not claim the child as a dependent for the year, and the noncustodial parent attaches this written declaration to his or her return.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 4, 2008, 08:33 AM
    Agreed, but the IRS will not know about the custodial arrangements, so NOT attaching the Form 8332 will have no consequence unless two (or more) people claim the child.
    Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 06:45 AM
    It is always safe for the noncustodial parent to get Form 8832 signed before claiming the child. This will avoid any future problem and interest and penalty.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 5, 2008, 08:31 AM
    Agree with MukatA; attaching the Form 8832 is never a bad idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I want to get married to some one that lives in greece [ 3 Answers ]

I want to get married to someone in Greece he's a visitor. I am a US citizen how long will it take him to get to the USA? What paper work will I need to get him here? He is a Iraqi citizen I believe I am not sure but is living in Greece.

2 lives in The Most Highs' hands [ 1 Answers ]

I am 19 years old. My sister's friend is a 15 year old mother of a two month old. Her mother is on drugs, has a long criminal record and has an unstable home. By unstable I mean, they have no gas and electric on at their house, no food and the temperature has been reaching record breaking heights....

Looking for someone who lives in Greece [ 3 Answers ]

If there is anyone one on this board that lives in Greece that can help me I would appreciate it. The person I am looking for is male from Kalamata. Last I heard is that he moved to an Island in Greece. He was part of O.Y.K (Hellenic Navy) in the early 90"s His name is George Drolias Send...

So this is how the other half lives? [ 1 Answers ]

Well thanks to Tom's link I've discovered this site and it appears more mature, interesting, and alive. After I figure out how to navigate the boards I'll try and contribute my moderate views when possible. I'm juggling a busy schedule between work and the wife's pregnancy. I just want to give a...

A chance to save lives [ 1 Answers ]

Hey I was wondering if any one knows how to go about gitting grants for horse facilities. My uncles both own two slices of land that are back to back, which together equal a little over 100 acres and there both figuring to sell. I actually keep my arabian horse deablo on my uncle don's farm. I had...

View more questions Search