Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SeekingAdvice000 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 02:23 PM
    Babies last name what one does he get?
    I don't know where to put this ? But I was wondering if I am not a married with the father of the baby does he get my last name or does he get the fathers last name??
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 02:31 PM
    It is all up to you. There is no rule or law that says that baby gets one or the other.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 14, 2007, 02:39 PM
    You can give the baby either or.

I gave my daughter my last name at birth because her father and I were not married, but had I wanted, I could have given her his last name.
    SeekingAdvice000 Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

Nov 14, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Is it my choice or his choice who gets what last name??
    Miranda Posts: 54, Reputation: 5

Nov 14, 2007, 03:07 PM
    It is your choice
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 03:11 PM
    It is your choice as you are the one required to fill out the birth certificate.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Nov 14, 2007, 03:29 PM
    Most people get there fathers last name as usually the wives last name is the same as the fathers. But as said above no law. I got my dads, and my friends got there dads too
    babieface85 Posts: 332, Reputation: 24

Nov 14, 2007, 03:49 PM
    It is 100% up to you. The baby can have any last name you give him or her. If you are not married, the father has no rights in naming the child. Even if his name is listed of the birth certificate it is all up t you. I know because have talked to attorneys about this given some changes in my relationship with my baby's father. I don't know your reason for wanting this information. The last name you choose at birth is likely to be your baby's last name for life. The courts are unlikely to change it later unless both parents agree.
    sGt HarDKorE Posts: 656, Reputation: 98

Nov 14, 2007, 05:43 PM
    My parents weren't married and I got my dads, which I'm glad because west is way easier than my moms which is like 13 letters long.

But my mom chose that
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 05:44 PM
    That may very well be why she chose that.
    nene1003 Posts: 10, Reputation: 2

Nov 14, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Let me tell you from experience... when I gave birth to my son I wasn't married to his dad although we were engaged... so my son was jr... exact whole name,first & last... well he cheated and we broke up and now I kick myself for not giving my son my last name... think about that!!
    noahandelise Posts: 3, Reputation: 0

Nov 14, 2007, 06:13 PM
    I believe that as long as the father is on the birth certificate, the baby will have his last name.
    You might have to speak with the local courthouse to find out more on this. I am sure that there is a way for you to give the baby your last name. Good luck.
    Expert

Nov 14, 2007, 06:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by noahandelise
    I believe that as long as the father is on the birth certificate, the baby will have his last name.
    This is not correct information. When you fill out the birth certificate you fill out your name, the name you wish to give the baby, and the father's name (if you choose to put the father's name on it). You can give the baby any name you please... If Mom's last name is Smith and Dad's last name is Jones... Mom can give the baby the last name of Davis if she so wishes.
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Nov 15, 2007, 07:01 AM
    Again, Seeking... the choice is YOURS... the father can be on the birth certificate or off, doesn't matter. In ANY situation... the choice is yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

All I can think about is babies! [ 4 Answers ]

I am 24 and about to get married in the next few months and recently I have become completely obsessed with wanting to have a baby. I am completely aware that the timing is wrong and I can honestly say that if I found out I was pregnant tomorrow I would not be in the right place. My fiancé and I...

I Need Help With My Two Babies [ 6 Answers ]

Hey! I'm married got 2 little cute girls one of them is a year and two months old and the other is almost amonth. I want to know how to take care of them both and take care of the house, the cooking and myself, I don't sleep much cause I don't have time to do all that. My one year old she's...

Is he still with his babies mother? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm a female who has been dating a guy for about two years now. The problem is he has never told his babies mom that I exist. The child was born a couple months after we started dating. I had no idea a child was on the way and after admitting the truth of an upcoming child he refused to tell the...

Babies [ 4 Answers ]

Are a babies eyes full size at birth I heard that they are. Nose and ears grow, but eyes are full size at birth true or false?

Babies. [ 15 Answers ]

I just had a baby on Friday and I was wondering if I could give my baby water, and if so what type?

View more questions Search