Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dusti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 21, 2006, 07:03 PM
    Washer Stops Spinning and Smells Like Smoke!
    I have an older (1970's) Maytag washer that has an intermittent problem where it stops during the spin cycle and then smells like burning metal. I am guessing it is a short somewhere?? Is there an easy way to check the wiring on this beast or any other ideas as to what the problem may be?

Thanks!

Dusti
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2006, 03:08 AM
    I'd instead guess that the motor is burning up. Sounds like you got more use out of that washer than it was designed to give. Perfect time to go shopping. I would not put repair money into a '70's washing machine.

... just my 1.5 cents worth :o

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore washer stopped spinning [ 11 Answers ]

My Kenmore washer, model# 417.99686210, has stopped spinning. It runs through the rest of the cycle, OK. It still agitates, indicating the motor is OK, but when it comes to the spin cycle, nothing. It fills with water and drains. If anyone can help, that would be most appreciated. Thank you.

GE washer not spinning [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GE washer that will not engage and spin through it's normal cycle. It completes the cycle, the pump drains all the water but it will not spin. All other parts of the cycle seem OK. L not start again. I would like to look inside but am unsure how to make my way in to this machine. Does the...

Washer Overflows When Spinning [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a washer and dryer, only to find I can't use them yet. Here is my problem: I live in an older house, not sure exaclty how old (it has a coal shoot) and I have had some plumbing problems. My first level toilet sometimes flushes very slooowly, and sometimes very well. My main drain...

Washer Drain Backs Up when Spinning [ 3 Answers ]

Help! Every time the washer spins out it backs up and squirts out the top of the drain. I've been told that it might be a clogged air duct. I ran water from my hose done the airduct on the roof for about 15 minutes and it seems to be clear. I've also ran draino down the pipe and it still backs...

View more questions Search