Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ianasso Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 15, 2009, 08:35 PM
    Carrier Weather Maker 800 need minor fix
    I had a maintenace contract for my Carrier Weather Maker 8000. It was working perfectly. The maintenance contractor is always trying to sell me either a new air conditioner or a furnace because the units should be "very old". Actually they are eight year old and are working perfectly. Last visit the service person showed me a black line in the housing (I do not know the real name of this part, is simple like a metal tube) where the thermostat sensor is lodged. He said that the black line was a sign of a crack, and I would need to replace the whole furnace. I could not see any crack. He tried to sell me a new unit for $8,000.00. He disabled the pilot and made some other changes so the furnace could not work. He said he is required by law to disable the unit, otherwise they would be responsible for a CO intoxication that could occur because of the crack.

I think a technician could replace the part if really damaged. Could someone help me to decide if I really need to buy a new furnace or to have the current unit repaired?

Thanks,
    Ianasso
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 08:55 PM

Call in another licensed HVAC repairperson and have him thoroughly check out your present unit. Don't mention what the other guy said to you about it at all.

I think the guy you had was trying to "persuade" you into purchasing a new unit when it is not needed.

Carrier is a good company. I had a Carrier electric a/c furnace for years and it worked just fine even if it was old.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Nov 15, 2009, 10:11 PM

Carrier may have a lifetime heat exchanger warranty in which case, it may only cost you labor.

Can you post a picture of the "defective part"? Use "go advanced/manage attachments" to do so.

Call a Carrier dealer.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Nov 16, 2009, 01:10 AM
    This just sounds like another sales job for a new furnace to me.
    KC13 Posts: 2,556, Reputation: 99
    Ultra Member

Nov 16, 2009, 04:10 AM
    The heat exchanger is warranted for at least 20 years, limited lifetime if you are the original owner. Seek out an honest HVAC contractor and have them perform an inspection. Don't mention the prior diagnosis. If no failure is detected, the shut-down by the previous contractor may be tactical, to pressure you into replacement.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and would like your help. I have a Carrier Weather Maker 8000 and I am having problems with it. Its keeps shutting off before it reaches the desired temperature . I made a couple of clips that I hoped would explain the problem better. The Start:...

Carrier Weather Maker 8000 [ 2 Answers ]

We just moved into a home and have a Carrier Weathermaker 8000 gas furnace. Most of the time the furnace works well but at times it comes on many times in a row and in short intervals?? It ignites for only 1 minute at a time but at least 20 times in a row, this doesn't seem a regular operation. ...

Gas Not kicking in on Carrier Weather Maker 8000 [ 49 Answers ]

I have a Carrier Weather Maker 8000 for which heating has refused to start this winter :mad: . On checking the error codes comes out to be 21 which states gas blockage. One of the suggestion was to shut off the heater and let it reset which has not helped. (Left it Off for the whole night but when...

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 5 Answers ]

Model # 58TUA06008 has had the main board replaced but it keeps shuting off and then will restart after four hours or if I shut the power off and turn it back on. Is this an issue with the heat sensors or something else. I known the main board has been recalled is there any other issues. Thanks G

Carrier weather maker 8000 [ 1 Answers ]

What's the cost of a Carrier weather maker 8000 ignitor and how can I purchase it? Thank You

View more questions Search