Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Brandy 81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2008, 05:44 PM
    My house! My land! My money! Not in my name!
    My boyfriend and father of my 2 children died 4 years ago. We had bought a mobile home 2 years before and put it in his name only. The home was placed on my family's farm and my grandmother gave me the $30,000 as a down payment. I have continued to pay the mortgage payments since then but the mortgage company will not let me put it in my name. Their was no estate set up after he died. I will have the house paid for in 2 years and the deed will be in his name. What can I do?
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2008, 06:24 PM
    You need to speak with an attorney about this as you do have a financial interest in the home if you put $30,000 into it and are paying the mortgage. It can be done, but it is not easy. Have you been paying any taxes on the home in your name? This will help also.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 20, 2008, 07:07 PM
    You have no right to inherit the house, as a girl fiend not a wife , but your kids can inherit the property. You will need an attorney and this will most likely have to go though probate
    Brandy 81 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2008, 08:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by twinkiedooter
    You need to speak with an attorney about this as you do have a financial interest in the home if you put $30,000 into it and are paying the mortgage. It can be done, but it is not easy. Have you been paying any taxes on the home in your name? This will help also.
    My father has paid all the land taxes on the whole 106 acre farm for 16 years and my house is on the land . My family has owned this land since 1870 something. What is probate court?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Aug 23, 2008, 09:18 PM
    What state do you live in? Probate is "... the court-supervised process of locating and determining the value of the assets owned in the individual name of a deceased person, referred to as a "decedent," paying the decedent's final bills and estate taxes (if required), and then distributing what's left of the decedent's assets to his or her heirs."
    See: What is Probate?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is my house an haunted land? [ 6 Answers ]

I live in a manufactured home that was built over wet lands and we have weird unexplained things happen all the time here like people knocking on the door but nobody is outside and even if we sit right by the door and open it right after the knock nobody is there. The other day I went into my room...

How can I save money to buy a house [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am 22 years old and I have been with my boyfriend for 4 years. We are currently trying to think of ways to save money to buy a house. It seems it never happens something always gets in the way. I have credit card debt & a new car payment that I am currently trying to pay off and he has...

Land or house purchases with bad credit [ 1 Answers ]

My question is is it possible to buy land or a home with bad credit.what would be the steps to take to get a loan ?would I even be concierd for a loan, and how much extra would I be charged in finacing?

Who gets money for house [ 5 Answers ]

We married and bought a house in her name. I have no credit. Been together 11 years, married 7 of them. Bought house right after marriage. Were divorcing. Do I get 1/2 the money on the sale of the house? I live in massachusettes.

View more questions Search