Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bunnyana Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 20, 2008, 04:40 PM
    Im a private party selling car in California, Law?
    :)
    I want to know if I can sell it as is or if I have to warrantee anything?? Does it depend on value of car or milage? What should I know before selling my car?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 09:14 PM
    Sell the car "As Is", and make no representations about how well it will perform in the future. If it has a defect, be up front about it. Check this: Vehicle Registration and Title Information
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 20, 2008, 09:17 PM
    Make the agreement in writing, keep a copy ( forever) you may warranty what you want, or provide no warranty,
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Jun 21, 2008, 12:09 PM
    You are a private person not a new car dealer or a used car dealer who offers warranties on vehicles. If the car has a mechanical problem that you are aware of, by all means disclose this fact to the buyer. You are selling the used car "as is" and do not have to give a warranty on the vehicle.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 21, 2008, 12:25 PM
    While telling the buyer everything you know is wrong with the vehicle is probably the moral thing to do, I would venture to say that no one does that, or at least no more than 1 out of 10.

I look at it this way.

You have a car to sell. Someone else wants to buy a car.

You show them the car. You offer them the chance to test drive the car. You offer them the opportunity to have the car checked out by their own mechanic. You don't make any statements about the reliability of the car. If they ASK about something, that you are aware of, you answer it truthfully.

For example, "does it burn any oil"? "Well, I haven't seen any smoke out the tail pipe, and I usually make it to my next 3,000 mile oil change without having to add any, so I don't think so".

It is the responsibility of the buyer, to make certain that what they are about to purchase meets the standards they expect, for the price you are asking.

Just my opinion, I'll probably get called a name or two, but, oh well.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

California private party used car sale law [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a 2001 Blazer in Gilroy California , test drove it,it was fine, and a week later picked it up and it over heated 5 minutes into my drive home.I checked the coolant levels and it was empty,filled the cooling system up again ,and made it home. The next day it overheated again.I feel...

Selling our house via Private Party [ 8 Answers ]

Can any one offer advice on selling our inherited house via private party? Me and three siblings have been offered a good price by our neighbor. We haven't the slightest idea what steps to take at this point... other than lining up an escrow agent. Do we write a seller/buyer agreement? Do we...

California private party used car law [ 2 Answers ]

When buying a used car in California, does the buyer have any recourse if the car renders inoperative within 90 days of purchase and there is no written contract.

Selling/buying a car to/from a private party [ 3 Answers ]

I really appreciate if anybody can help me by answering the following... 1) When you sell a car to a private party, what do you need to do? > a)Do you just need to sign on the title and give it to the buyer? > b)Do you need to go to a office to cancel the registration/tag/license plate? >...

View more questions Search